Thanks

TBWinRE USB Boot Drive

I posted the following in Post #19 in the thread "TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite".

I installed v3.02 today (8/27/16) and made three partition images, my O/S, Programs, and Users. In Settings I increased the RAM cache size to 32MB and the disk cache size to 16MB.

O/S time: 7:28
    size: 36.5GB of 60GB
    IMG: 25.1GB
    Ratio: 1.45:1

Programs time: 8:18
    size: 46.5GB of 100GB
    IMG: 30.4GB
    Ratio: 1.53:1

Users time: 7:41
    size: 28.1GB of 60GB
    IMG: 21.7GB
    Ratio: 1.29:1

The time includes byte-for-byte validation after creation of the image, at enhanced speed A. Compression is default, priority is High. I'm going to update my TBWinRE USB boot drive hopefully tomorrow, restore these images, and I'll record those times also.

Today (8/28/16) I updated my TBWinRE USB Boot Drive, rebooted into the TBWinRE environment and restored my O/S partition image. It only took 3:17. I restarted and booted into Windows 10 Pro. I know beyond doubt that the drive image was good. I'll reboot into TBWinRE and restore the other two images to confirm that they are also good, and update this post.

Based on my previous experiences with Image For Windows v2.xx, v3.02 is twice as fast in both creation and restoration of drive images. I'm impressed.

>>> update - Restore of all three images:

O/S - 3:17
    Programs - 4:08
    Users - 3:47
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-08-28 at 14:39. Reason: additional info
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    One bit of happenstance, I have no mouse cursor when booted into TBWinRE. I have a post in the TeraByte forums about that, but no replies as yet. Don't know if it's an IFW thing or a Windows 10 AU thing.

The odd thing is that I use a MS wireless mouse/keyboard combo, and the keyboard works just fine. I can keyboard my way around it, it just takes longer. My usual habit is to boot to the other side of my dual boot and create my drive/partition images from there, so I don't actually use the TBWinRE USB Drive very much.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Coochin (2016-08-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, I use a wireless Logitech M570 trackman and it works with TBWinRE and TBWinPE media. I tested both this afternoon. (Running Windows 10 version 1607 OS Build 14393.82, and V3.02 of the TeraByte software.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    For what it's worth, I use a wireless Logitech M570 trackman and it works with TBWinRE and TBWinPE media. I tested both this afternoon. (Running Windows 10 version 1607 OS Build 14393.82, and V3.02 of the TeraByte software.)
    I'm going to try a couple of things tomorrow, the process-of-elimination rundown to rule out what's not causing it.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    One bit of happenstance, I have no mouse cursor when booted into TBWinRE. I have a post in the TeraByte forums about that, but no replies as yet. Don't know if it's an IFW thing or a Windows 10 AU thing.

The odd thing is that I use a MS wireless mouse/keyboard combo, and the keyboard works just fine. I can keyboard my way around it, it just takes longer. My usual habit is to boot to the other side of my dual boot and create my drive/partition images from there, so I don't actually use the TBWinRE USB Drive very much.
    Your post inspired me to try again to solve a niggling problem with my main PC (the one in my signature). Mouse not working when using BootIt Bare Metal (BootItBM). Had to use keyboard only for partition work, creating/restoring images, etc, which is tricky and takes much longer than simply pointing and clicking with a mouse.

I was using an old Belkin "ergonomic" PS2 keyboard (circa 2000) plugged into the sole PS2 port on the motherboard, and a M$ Wireless Mouse (w/ the receiver plugged into a USB port of course). Could find no way to get a USB mouse to work in BootItBM (upgraded BIOS to latest, messed around with BootItBM's USB settings, tried several wired USB mice, no go).

Your post got me thinking, and after a while I came up with a "what if?".

With the PC powered off I unplugged the Belkin PS2 keyboard and the receiver for the M$ wireless mouse, plugged a USB/PS2 adapter into the PS2 port w/ a wired USB mouse, and plugged in the receiver for a combo Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse, then powered on.

The PC booted to the BootItBM boot options dialog as usual but now it had a mouse cursor, and I could access the partition work and imaging functions using just the mouse.

But now I'll have to get used to the different keyboard and mouse (no big deal).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    TeraByte support suggested unplugging the receiver, then plugging it back in. I tried that, and the mouse started working fine. Don't know why I didn't try that first. Guess I assumed it must have been something else since the keyboard was working fine, but no, it was just that simple.

Unleash Windows