Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving new Favorites in MS Edge

My wife just upgraded to Windows 10 a day or so ahead of the deadline, and is trying very hard to get used to Edge. This, particularly since her old favorite IE11 won't even stay open any more. My question is, how the heck does she save a webpage to her favorites for future use using MS Edge. There has got to be a way of doing a simple thing like that with Edge, but I cannot for the life of me find any way of doing it. What is the secret?? What am I missing here? PLEASE HELP. :-(

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Click on the Star at the right end of the address bar.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

decann (2016-08-30)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried that, but it doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517, please let me try this again after my previous reply to you. I have been dealing with what SHOULD BE a straightforward simple non-problem, but now I've let it get to me and I am frustrated and apologize to you.

Simply put, I seem to be going through the steps (I think), but in the end nothing is ever saved. Can you give me simple step by step directions for it please? I would guess I am leaving a step out or something, but if I don't know what it is I am not able to tell someone else. Please help, and I do apologize for what may be taken as a rather short or blunt reply last time.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Click the Star. You should get a window which has the page title and a default folder. There is a drop down next to the folder name to select a different folder. You can also click the "Create a new folder" link. Then click "Add". The web page link will be added (at least it is on my system).
    Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

decann (2016-08-30)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    A STAR that apears "add to favorites or reading list" at the end of address bar of MS Edge. hope it helps you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517, it still won't save. This is why I am so frustrated, but I have a feeling there is some little detail that I am overlooking and not a malfunction, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it is. Specifically, be aware I have already imported all of my wife's old IE11 Favorites to the default location in what previously was an empty folder, and best I determine they are all there and working normally. When I try to save a new Favorite, I am attempting to save it in what is now one of her new folders imported from IE11 and it just does not save it. No error, no rejection note of any kind, NO NOTHING. . . . . It simply does nothing when I save it or try to do so

An on a side note, my frustration is amplified by the fact my wife never wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 in the first place and without saying so deep down blames me for talking her into it. . . .so now she is upset with me because HER desktop now has this and other technical issues to be hopefully resolved by a technician now coming to resolve the other technical issues.
    Click the Star. You should get a window which has the page title and a default folder. There is a drop down next to the folder name to select a different folder. You can also click the "Create a new folder" link. Then click "Add". The web page link will be added (at least it is on my system).
    Last edited by decann; 2016-08-30 at 14:02.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Should not make a difference but is her account a standard or admin account?

When the Window opens make sure that "Favorites" is selected and not "Reading List"
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you mean her Windows 10 account, following is here current Microsoft Account info:

Her name
    Her email
    Administrator

Is that what you mean? If it matters with anything, it originally started out as a "Local Account," but was made a Microsoft Account a few weeks ago. If this is not what you need to know, please let me know and I will ask the friend who upgraded to Win10 for me when he comes tomorrow afternoon.
    Should not make a difference but is her account a standard or admin account?

When the Window opens make sure that "Favorites" is selected and not "Reading List"

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    One question which you answered just fine.

The second as just a statement of what to look for in the dialog which opens after you click the star.
    Joe

Thanks
    Um, I don't use Edge very much so I thought I'd learn something from this thread. I've saved a web page just as David described, but I didn't see the page in question anywhere. I then clicked on the hamburger (three horizontal lines) then the star. This showed my saved page, but that looked clunky to do each time. So I dragged the entry onto the Favourites bar folder and lo and behold it appeared on the favourites bar I had just set to show. To get it to show I clicked on the hamburger (as above) then the star, then clicked settings, then clicked the button to show the favourites bar.

I've just tried to add a favourite to a new folder but that hasn't appeared yet - I'll see if I can get it to do so. All seems rather clunky to me as I said.

Ahh, just dragged the new folder (as before) and now it appears. Not a patch an any other favourites/bookmarks system in pretty much every other browser. Or have I missed an easier way?

Another question - how does one change the home page?
    Just found it, click the three horizontal dots, then settings at the bottom. It's just different.....
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2016-08-30 at 17:23. Reason: Home page question
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517, not quite sure, but are you asking me something here that I need to reply to? Forgive me, but I am not very clear on this.
    One question which you answered just fine.

The second as just a statement of what to look for in the dialog which opens after you click the star.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    access-mdb, I don't quite understand how to reply to this but are you are asking or telling me something in my thread here I don't quite know how to respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Um, I don't use Edge very much so I thought I'd learn something from this thread. I've saved a web page just as David described, but I didn't see the page in question anywhere. I then clicked on the hamburger (three horizontal lines) then the star. This showed my saved page, but that looked clunky to do each time. So I dragged the entry onto the Favourites bar folder and lo and behold it appeared on the favourites bar I had just set to show. To get it to show I clicked on the hamburger (as above) then the star, then clicked settings, then clicked the button to show the favourites bar.

I've just tried to add a favourite to a new folder but that hasn't appeared yet - I'll see if I can get it to do so. All seems rather clunky to me as I said.

Ahh, just dragged the new folder (as before) and now it appears. Not a patch an any other favourites/bookmarks system in pretty much every other browser. Or have I missed an easier way?

Another question - how does one change the home page?
    Just found it, click the three horizontal dots, then settings at the bottom. It's just different.....

David E. Cann

Thanks
    David, I'm just giving you my experience and hoping it might help you with your problem. It certainly didn't seem straightforward to me how to display the favourites one saves.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just double checking that after you try to save a Favorite you are using Edge to find it and not using File Explorer.
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast