New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Windows 10 AU update issue Fix

I updated my office computer to Windows 10 AU. As the office designated IT person, I get to trial all new programs before everyone else. After the update, I could not log into the Windows Store anymore and any apps from the Store failed to load. Items I had come to depend on like One Note quit working. Any app what was tied to my Microsoft ID would not open. I tried to delete my old Microsoft account and add a new one. All I did was lose the account and could not add a new one. Watching the little spinning circle almost drove me mad. I reset the Windows Store but no luck. The store would start but I could not download anything because I could not sign in with my MS account. I made sure my User Account privileges were turned all the way up in case MS had changed that. No luck! I did a SCANNOW of my installation which found no errors! As a desperate measure, I reset my Windows 10 installation and I lost all my settings for programs and had to reload most of them. Still I could not get into the MS store. I made a new user account with Admin privileges and still no luck! Finally I logged in as the MS user and it set up a profile for me. Success! I was able to access the store and apps. Unfortunately I could not access my company network. But it told me that the Windows was in good condition but something went awry with the profile. After some searching, I found a link to a tool someone recommend for repairing permissions to Microsoft Passport service. It's the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe file. I downloaded it from Major Geeks. They had said to install the tool, then go to the Repair tab and unclick everything except Reset File Permissions. Leave that clicked and then run the Repair. I did that and rebooted and IT WORKED PRAISE GOD! My sanity intact, I wanted to post what I found in case anyone else finds themselves in this position (and from the forums there are many of us).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanJL For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-08-31)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!! Thanks for posting your experience. Sorry you had to go through that but glad you got it resolved.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanJL View Post
    ...It's the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe file. I downloaded it from Major Geeks. They had said to install the tool, then go to the Repair tab and unclick everything except Reset File Permissions. Leave that clicked and then run the Repair...
    Best to download "Tweaking.com - Windows Repair" from the author's site at: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

I have used WR many times when working on customers' computers to fix various problems. Best to run the final (repair) stage in Safe Mode with the default choices set.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan: Thanks for passing this on. I did a clean install of Windows 10 and I've had all sorts of weird file/registry permission problems, most of them documented on various web sites (so I know I'm not alone). I'll give this tool a try to see if it can fix some of them.

Rob