Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Need suggestions for improving laptop speed

I have an older laptop that I use on limited occasions - it is running Win7 64 bit Premium with a Celelon 900 CPU, 250GB HDD (68GB used) and 3 GB ram. After a slow bootup 50-60 seconds the CPU usage monitor initially fluctuates between 18 and 100% and then remains at 100%.

I know that the Celeron 900 is not noted for speed and not fast be today's standards but recently it has become agonizingly slow to respond to anything I attempt to open (sometimes several minutes). I have run a variety of cleaners, optimizers, disk checks/repairs, antispyware, virus and maleware scans to no avail. Also have disabled most all startups and switched most all services to manual.
    I have Comcast that provides between 80 and 90 Mbps internet speed.

I would appreciate any suggestions on any additional steps I might undertake to resolve this slow response issue.

Frank

Thanks
    You mentioned internet speed, so I assume that a big part of your issue is that your internet browsing is slow.

The three main things I have found which slow down browsing are: scripts, ads, and Flash. If you can block as much of that as possible, you will greatly speed up your browsing experience. Here's how I did it:

Scripts: I use Firefox for my browsing. Firefox has an add-in called No Script (?) (I'm not at home, so I can't verify the name) which I installed. I set it to block all scripts except the ones I allow. Whenever I go to a website, if the website seems stuck, I look at what scripts are being blocked. One or more of them have names which appear to go with the desired website, so I allow them. I then find that the website I have visited is a lot faster, because all of the extraneous scripts are being blocked. You have to allow google.com to run scripts, or you won't be able to go hardly anywhere. But you can pretty much block all other Google-related scripts, and all other "tracking" scripts. As you fine tune your script blocker, you will find that your browsing experience has greatly improved. The fine tuning process will take time, so be patient.

Flash: Also in Firefox, you can install an add-in called FlashBlock (?). This will block all Flash activity except that which you allow.

Ads: I installed AdBlock Plus. (I think it is available for other browsers besides Firefox.) I'm not sure how much it has helped, but other people brag about it, so I thought that it couldn't hurt to install it.

Other things to try:
    * Install an SSD (solid state drive) as your main hard drive. This should help make your computer faster, at least for those things which involve hard drive activity. If you don't want to do that, then defrag your hard drive.
    * Check what is loading at startup, and kill what you don't need. Run msconfig, and you will see what loads at startup. Or, download a copy of CCleaner and run it.

Good luck!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What speed are you supposed to be getting from Comcast ?

As you say you only use the laptop occasionally, are Window Updates up to date.

If they aren't then I would suspect the high CPU usage is because it is checking for them and getting nowhere.

Open Task Manager - click on Processes then on Memory and that will sort the highest user first.

If a service host tops the list then right click on it then select Go to services and whichever is at the bottom will be the cause of the slow.

The Windows Update service will show as wuauserv

Even with it set to Manual, Windows will fire it up, but let us know what you find.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-09-01),satrow (2016-08-31)

Thanks
    I would be very careful about adjusting any Windows Prime services, startups, etc. Unless you are a poweruser like a Calender of sevenforums or like a dalchina of eightforums -- you can cause much more long-term grief than joy.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I found W7 maxed out the CPU on a slower laptop due to Windows Update. Adding an SSD made virtually no difference, but updating to W10 fixed it. As usual, YMMV.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Need suggestions for improving laptop speed

Many thanks to all responders - I will work through each suggestion/comment and see if an improvement can be achieved.
    To answer some responder questions, Comcast high speed internet in my area promises speeds up to 100mbps - I average 85-90 mbps. Windows updates does not function on the laptop despite running all of the so called fixes found on Google. Will try to find a way to disable it. I use WSUS Windows Offline Updater for my updates.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fdm2000 View Post
    I have an older laptop that I use on limited occasions - it is running Win7 64 bit Premium with a Celelon 900 CPU, 250GB HDD (68GB used) and 3 GB ram. After a slow bootup 50-60 seconds the CPU usage monitor initially fluctuates between 18 and 100% and then remains at 100%.

I know that the Celeron 900 is not noted for speed and not fast be today's standards but recently it has become agonizingly slow to respond to anything I attempt to open (sometimes several minutes). I have run a variety of cleaners, optimizers, disk checks/repairs, antispyware, virus and maleware scans to no avail. Also have disabled most all startups and switched most all services to manual.
    I have Comcast that provides between 80 and 90 Mbps internet speed.

I would appreciate any suggestions on any additional steps I might undertake to resolve this slow response issue.

Frank

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go Start - type services.msc and press enter then scroll down to Windows Update - right click on it - select Properties and use the dropdown to select Disabled - Apply - Stop - OK

Click on File then Exit.

While you will get a nag to say it is disabled, it has been found that WSUS works faster with it disabled as it won't be maxing out your CPU.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did earlier try disabling Windows Update and there seems to be a significant improvement - not seeing constant the CPU 100% now with no programs running - not sure if it will last and will keep checking processes to see what may be using up the CPU. One poster mentioned that if windows is unable to search for updates it keeps trying and in so doing eats up resources?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the WU service is disabled then it won't search for them but as a belt 'n braces, change your WU settings to Never check until you can sort your update problems.

As you use WSUS Offline Update, I'm surprised that subsequent updates have still been troublesome.

Have you run a command prompt as an administrator to see what sfc /scannow reports ?

Also which antivirus program are you using on that machine and is it up to date with its Definitions - although browsing would be extremely slow if at all if they were well out of date.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes did reset to never check for updates prior to disabling WU in services. Used the free version of Avast. WSUS seems to be updating as needed - but is a time consuming operation -better than no updates at all. Will do a sfc/scannow as administrator.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It has to do the same as WU when it downloads and installs so it can take a while depending upon how many are needed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo thanks, question on WSUS: when opened and run does it only update those updates that are currently not installed. Each time I have run it , it seems to be installing a long list of updates - seems there should only be a few if I run it weekly?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It probably downloads and installs the lot but I suspect if you checked update history there would be quite a few failures because of the ones already installed.

Of the fixes you have tried, have you run the System Update Readiness Tool ?

When WSUS has finished you can download the appropriate version from https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

It's a 533MB download so it's worth selecting Save and then you can run it from your Downloads folder as and when.

You can view its log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad to see if it has fixed or unable to fix any errors.

I think Windows Update service needs to be set to its default Started (Automatic delay) and the update settings need to be set to auto (recommended) for it to install and do it's thing, but as you will have all of the updates installed by then, Check for updates shouldn't be running to max out the CPU.

It will probably require a reboot to reset the Windows Update service so that it starts properly.

EDIT - What did the sfc /scannow report ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-09-03 at 16:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I some time ago did install and run the MS System Readiness Tool but it was unable to fix any errors. I have a Win 7 pro desktop that has a functional WU configured to notify when updates are available but let me decide when to download and install. From it I can determine what updates are needed and manually download install them on the laptop now that WSUS hopefully has done its thing and brought WU up to date.
    I ran sfc/scannow and it found no disk errors to fix. With just the startups, services and processes running and no opened programs/apps the CPU monitor fluctuates between 0 and 48%. Guess I can live with that now.

Thanks again for your patience and excellent suggestions.

Frank

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) report anything or was it just a case of the status quo after you had run it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast