Star Lounger
    Thanks

F9 is locking my document

Word 2010 using a Pleading Template with a Cert of Service. When the document is created using the template and THEN I upate my fields using the F9 keyboard shortcut, the document is locking. Other documents created, based on templates, is not behaving the same way. See document attached.
    Thank you.
    Charlotte
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Thanks
    I do not have this happen when I select all and press F9.
    What do you mean by "locking?" Please describe.

I notice that you are using legacy checkboxes in your certificate of service. Is there a reason for using these rather than the checkbox content controls?

Consider using a StyleRef Field instead of a REF field to pick up and display your document title (which you label caption) instead of using a REF field. It is instant and does not require the use of the F9 key to refresh.

By the way, I prefer our Wisconsin court rules. The filing of the pleading, by itself, acts as a certificate of service.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2016-09-01 at 08:12.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Charles, thank you for your reply. The reason the COS has the legacy checkboxes is because these templates are very old and were created way back in a version of Word that used Toolbars vs Ribbons. If you open the document I attached and press F9 it does not lock? By Lock I mean adds protection that allows us to tab from one field to the next. By the time they have assembled the pleading and COS the document is unlocked...full editing is allowed. They use the F9 keyboard shortcut simply to update fields. Should not be protecting the document.
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    P.S. How would you use StyleRef rather than Ref field? My reference field references a Bookmark. I can't see that bookmark with StyleRef .... maybe I'm confused.
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    StyleRef fields still need F9 to update themselves so they are no different to Ref fields in this respect.

But you could use a linked Content Control for instant updating which doesn't require a field update. You insert these CCs easily by picking one from Insert>Quick Parts>Document Property to every location it is needed. There are two possible drawbacks to this option: 1. The file format can't be '.doc'. It has to be one of the newer formats. 2. It is generally accepted to be 'not good' practice to mix legacy form fields with Content Controls although I'm not convinced it is particularly heinous.

Getting back to your issue, it is entirely possible that the F9 key has been configured to run a macro or key binding which protects the document. Since you posted a docx file, we know a macro can't be in that file but you probably have an attached template which could easily house the macro or key binding. Have you tried opening Word in Safe Mode to see if you get the same behaviour?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Andrew: Thank you for your reply. I have good news and bad news. The good news is, I found my F9 locking problem. In the VBA code, there was a reference to field updates that was locking the document. I commented out the lines and so far it is working...we will see when the paralegal actually does a good test.

Now for the bad news. I looked at the StyleRef field, it worked without the F9 update key, but the formatting did not copy over correctly. The text was Bold and all caps. The StyleRef location bolded only the first word and I could NOT get it to behave. So I went back to the old method.

Thank you for helping, both of you. At least for now, this issue is considered resolved.
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by charq52 View Post
    Dear Andrew: Thank you for your reply. I have good news and bad news. The good news is, I found my F9 locking problem. In the VBA code, there was a reference to field updates that was locking the document. I commented out the lines and so far it is working...we will see when the paralegal actually does a good test.

Now for the bad news. I looked at the StyleRef field, it worked without the F9 update key, but the formatting did not copy over correctly. The text was Bold and all caps. The StyleRef location bolded only the first word and I could NOT get it to behave. So I went back to the old method.

Thank you for helping, both of you. At least for now, this issue is considered resolved.
    Andrew:
    The StyleRef field updates virtually simultaneously when in the Header or Footer. See the screenshots below:
    00 deleteme 1.png 00 deleteme 2.png

CharQ:
    Formatting in fields can be tricky. You do not want a MERGEFORMAT switch or you get the results you are seeing. Instead, use a CHARFORMAT switch and format the letter "s" in styleref (or the entire name) with the formatting you want. Even though you are not using the StyleRef field in this project, keep it in your toolbox. Useful StyleRef Tricks

Yes, I did use the F9 to update fields and all that happened was the fields updated. You have discovered the interception code in the template.