Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Insider Preview build 10.0.14915.1000 released to FAST ring

See Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14915 for PC and Mobile for features, fixes, and known issues.
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe: I've been doing some reading on the Insider Preview program and I have a question. As an Insider, what's the level of code you're receiving? Is it GA code that you get to see before everyone else or release-candidate code in its final testing stages?

Rob

Thanks
    14915.1000 installed on my Win10 IP system this morning.

Afterwards had to reset auto-login to Win10, and network settings were messed up. Even after adjusting network settings to suit my workgroup it took three reboots before networking was working again.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    Joe: I've been doing some reading on the Insider Preview program and I have a question. As an Insider, what's the level of code you're receiving? Is it GA code that you get to see before everyone else or release-candidate code in its final testing stages?

Rob
    Its bleeding edge beta code with bugs and issues. See the link that Joe always posts with each release for a list of known issues .

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2016-09-01 at 19:36.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Its bleeding edge beta code with bugs and issues. See the link that Joe always posts with each release for a list of known issues .

Jerry

Jerry
    Jerry: Thanks. That's what I figured. I guess "Insider Preview" sounds more inviting than "Beta Testers Needed". I guess I'll forgo the Insider Preview; Windows 10 needs the wind at its back as it is.

Thanks
    This was an absolute pig of a release

First of all it took a lot longer than normal to install, in fact, I'm pretty sure it installed twice.

When I finally got to the desktop I had no internet access. wtf? I've got ethernet and Wi-Fi installed so it had taken both of them out.

Getting ethernet up and running was pretty straight forward, 'Diagnose this connection' from Network connections managed to revive it.

The Wi-Fi is still buggered but it is a known problem and has been posted on the Microsoft Community.
    I'm using a TP-Link AC600 Archer T2U USB network adapter and here's how it shows on my PC...
    14915devmgr.PNG

That's not all!

Even though I am connected to the internet via ethernet, the Feedback Hub insists I'm not! I've been able to feed this info back using my tablet
    youllneed.PNG

Thanks
    Sorry to hear of your experience Brownie. Doesn't help you any but my install took the same time as usual and I didn't experience any internet loss. I do have an ongoing issue with my laptop losing the wireless internet when waking up from sleep but I've had that for several builds. Its simple to reconnect but its an irritant.

Does a reboot fix your Feedback Hub issue?

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2016-09-02 at 11:37.

Thanks
    Yes; a very long install process for me, too (over three hours - and I have a pretty fast system). Previous new builds have installed in around 30 minutes within my VM; for some reason this upgrade went through an intermediate full installation ("Build 14913"??) and then did it all again. In the process, it "forgot" that my MS Office was fully up to date and re-downloaded and installed a massive list of Office Patches. I note also, that all Store Apps were downloaded "from scratch" and re-installed AFTER the OS upgrade had completed. Nevertheless, the new build seems to be fully functional now (nearly 7Gigs later!!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Does a reboot fix your Feedback Hub issue?
    Jerry
    I tried many reboots but with no joy.

I have ended up rolling back to 14905 as my VPN software got clobbered as well

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    for some reason this upgrade went through an intermediate full installation ("Build 14913"??) and then did it all again.
    Thanks Pete, I wasn't imagining things when I thought it installed twice.

Thanks
    @Browni: I am glad I am not alone; but not pleased to be in that category!!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    I am in the insider program, and upgraded from the previous insider build. The upgrade was smooth, fast, and painless. In fact I have not found any reason to do a clean install in quite a while. MS has really improved the upgrade process.