New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 Network Connectivity

I have 2 Dell 9100 desktop PC's running Windows 7 Pro, and a Dell 8300 running XP Media Center, all Cat5 connected to a Netgear WNDR3700 Router. I also have an Asus Laptop (Intel Core i5-2450M) running Windows 7 Pro 64bit, WIFI (and occasionally Cat5) connected to the router. All were networked together so they could share files and printers/scanners in a "Workgroup" not "Homegroup".

Recently, I loaded Windows 10 to the Asus, and it does connect properly to the outside world. However, it can no longer see any of the network PC's/devices other than the router. The Workgroup setting still lists the proper name.

How do I get Win10 to communicate with the other network devices?

I tried setting up a Homegroup using the password on one of the Dell 9100 but got a message indicating I had to load IPv6.

Tom

Thanks
    More info would help troubleshoting.

For example:
    1. Why would you need to load IPv6? It's a default protocol. Has it been disabled?
    2. What AV/anti-malware product(s) do you use?
    3. Can you ping successfully between devices using both name and IP?
    4. Do you log on with password-protected accounts?
    5. Do you logon using a privileged account or as a standard user?
    6. Any other changes to the network other than install W10 on your Asus?
    7. Have you tried a manual connection by typing an IP or computer name into File Explorer's address bar on the Asus, e.g. \\Dell9100 (or whatever the computer name is)?
    8. Is network discovery turned on in the Network and Sharing Center?
    9. Have you checked that file and print sharing is turned on for the Asus?
    10. Is the Asus' network profile showing as Private or Public in the Network and Sharing Center?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions but the answers may narrow down what could be wrong.

Hope this helps...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    IPv6 should be checked by default in the Network adapter/Properties on the computer, but not all routers and ISPs support it - you would need to log into your router to see if there's a check box for it.

To see if it's enabled in the network adapters, go Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter.

Right click on the adapter you are using and select Properties where you'll see the box for (TCP/IPv6).

My ISP doesn't support IPv6 so I don't know what the IPv6 IP address should look like other than the Mac addresses that are displayed in ipconfig /all run from a command prompt, as in mine.

Although I may have the wrong end of the stick in what Win 10 is telling you