Thanks

Will "Reset" install Win 10 or the old Windows version?

When I go to Settings>Update and Security>Recovery, I notice that one of my computers has a "Reset this PC" option, while the other one does not.

The one with that option was upgraded from Win 7. The one without it was a clean install of Win 10.

So it makes me wonder what I would end up with on that former Win 7 machine if I was to use the Reset option.

And is there a way to initiate a Reset from within Windows on the computer that had the clean install?

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    According to some sources, resetting a PC in Windows 10 is just cleaning unwanted files (and, perhaps, registry entries related to these files) and restarting after taking this operation. I think your Win10 guess you have some scrap files remained after Windows 7, and try to persuade you cleaning these files to quicken your PC.

Best regards!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgeek.1974 For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-09-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Reset will indeed give you Win10 but your apps will no longer be installed. Your files will still be there though (but still, do a back up before implementing this). I had to recently reset my system (my PC just got too flaky; only program that I didn't re-install was Photoshop CS5, but since I'm a GIMPer, I'm not missing much). I knew I was going to have to reset my system before the big update, so I bit the bullet and did; no regrets.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lylejk For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-09-09)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Which version of Windows 10 is on each machine?

Do you mean the "Get Started" button is not there or is not active?
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks, Lyle and MrGeek.

Joe,
    The "Reset This PC" button is missing in "Recovery". See attached screenshot. That machine is Win 10 Pro. I have to check to see what version the other one is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2016-09-09 at 14:52.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Please run (Win + R) winver and report the results from both systems.
    Joe

Thanks
    My desktop computer, which was upgraded from Win 7 and has the Reset this PC button, says version 1511 build 10586.589.

My laptop, which was the clean install of win 10, does not have the reset this PC button, says the same.

I guess it may be a non issue, since I just tried the Advanced Startup function, and found that I see Reset as an option after it restarts, on the advanced startup dialog.

But back to my original question about what OS will Reset install, on the clean install laptop, disk management only shows a 450 MB Recovery and a 350 MB Recovery partition. That does not seem like enough to contain Win 10 installation files. (The desktop has a 10 GB recovery partition.) Would reset even work on the laptop?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Reset your PC uses the Windows servicing files on your boot partition not the Recovery partitions. It will install whatever is there already. reset should work on the laptop.
    Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-09-19)

Thanks
    OK thanks for the info.