Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Win 10 1607 slow boot?

Hi All,

I have a Dell with an I5 processor and 8GB memory and a normal 1 TB HD but my boot times seem to be slowing down with the 1607 version? It now takes my system around 5 minutes to boot to ALL programs loaded, is this normal or is something wrong with my system? Are there any tweaks or is this the new normal(?), Any idea's will thankfully be tried!!

Thanks,
    Steve

Thanks
    You could try running "Tweaking.com - Windows Repair" from the author's site at: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

I have used WR many times when working on customers' computers to fix various problems. Best to run the final (repair) stage in Safe Mode with the default choices set.

Using Tweaking.com - Windows Repair:

Step 1. Clean Your System Of Infections.
    Trying to fix a system that is currently infected is obviously a very bad idea and can make things worse. An infection can hijack a machine and keep part of the repairs from running correctly. Since only part of a repair will work the other part that failed could end up causing problems. Rule of thumb before working on a system is to make sure it is clean. Even if you think your system
    is clean doing a scan before hand is a good idea.

Step 2. Check File System
    Doing a check disk on the hard drive is a good idea. This will have Windows check the file system on the drive fixing any problem it finds. Corrupt files can break a lot of things, including the repairs. So making sure the file system is good is a must.

Step 3. System File Check (SFC)
    The built in Windows system file checker is a tool that checks that the Windows files are intact, the correct versions and not corrupted. This is a good idea to do before doing repairs as if a file is corrupt and we try a repair that needs that file then the repair will fail.

Step 4. System Restore & Registry Backup
    Doing a system restore point is a great idea to do before doing any repairs. If any unforeseen problems happen after any repair than a system restore can put the system back to the way it was before the repairs. This is highly recommended.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have same problem since the anniversary update.
    since the update(clean install) it takes several minutes to boot. I have tried everything I can think of but no change.
    it runs great after it boots.
    Barry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    just to clarify as I was in a hurry yesterday I had already tried all the steps you listed above other than the Tweaking.com with no change in the boot time.
    Based on a google search I am a little Leary of using this program..
    Barry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Mine increased from about 25 secs to about 1ūmin after AU but has settled back down to 30 - 35 secs.

Apparently it's the OS which MS know about so there isn't a lot you can do about it

Go into Task Manager/Startup and see if any of the items are listed as High.

I have mine disabled to the bare minimum, but it was like that before AU.

After my AU, it had changed the wireless driver which wasn't very good and I had to reinstall my older Win 7 one, but you may want to check your drivers by reinstalling what you had.

You can do this through Device Manager - they may give you the option to roll back but right click on whatever and select Update Driver Software - Browse my computer - Let me pick... and you may see alternatives in the store.

To see if there is a rollback option, after you right click, select Properties then Driver.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

bwc (2016-09-01)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Been having a look around Google and it would seem that for some, AU has changed the Paging file settings so that it is maxing out VM - so may be worth having a look at that as well.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hopefully this will not be considered off topic but the problem started after I used the new fresh install option.
    I received the update thru windows update and about 2 days later I used the new fresh install option not "reset" to install a fresh copy of windows 10.
    this is a almost new Lenovo desktop with a AMD A10-7800 3.5ghz processor and 12GB ram.
    It has a wireless option but I use a Ethernet connection. the computer runs great even better than when it was new other than the slow boot time.
    there were several Cisco programs installed that I assume were related to the wireless option that were no longer there after the fresh install. I have no idea if this could be part of the problem but my gut felling tells me the computer is looking for something that's not there.
    Steve did not specify how he received the update but I am very curious.
    Barry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think a clean install wipes everything out so you will just get what MS gives you.

However, you could go to the Lenovo support site for your model and reinstall the original drivers to see if that improves, but create an external system image first - as you should have done before the clean install.

Have you created a Win 10 System Repair disk - you will see that option when you go to create the system image.

After much chew, I was finally able to get AU to install by using the MCT's option of Upgrade this PC and disabling all of my AV program, so I still had the older drivers in the store.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-09-01 at 12:22.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bwc View Post
    just to clarify as I was in a hurry yesterday I had already tried all the steps you listed above other than the Tweaking.com with no change in the boot time.
    Based on a google search I am a little Leary of using this program..
    Barry
    I wouldn't be leary of using Tweaking.com's program. When I was upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 I could not get the update to fire off and after trying everything I could think of and then some I finally called Microsoft and after 3 days of a 2nd level tech working remotely to fix my issue he finally ran the Tweaking.com program on my PC and after it finished running the upgraded kicked off and ran. Also if you read the guys forum you'll find that he's VERY proactive in trying to make his program work better than anything around. That being said, nothing in live is guaranteed but given my experience with the program and others experience, I certainly wouldn't be afraid of it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Re, Windows Repair from www.tweaking.com I have the Pro version and have used it on this Win 7 laptop out of curiosity and found that after the reboot following the repairs, everything was frozen and the same after subsequent reboots.

I had to boot up into Safe Mode to use Option 5 in the program to restore the registry before it would work normally again.

Because of that, I'm wary of running it on my other two laptops, but as Coochin has said, he's had nothing but success just as many others have had.

As the program works on the registry, it's essential that you back up the registry in the program before going ahead with the repairs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1209 View Post
    It now takes my system around 5 minutes to boot to ALL programs loaded ... is this the new normal(?)
    Not the new normal, my 1607 boot is roughly the same as before 1607, around 15 seconds.

I do keep my startup programs pared to what I really use daily, currently 8. In addition, have you checked Settings > Privacy > Background Apps? There are 32 of those on mine atm, and I've read people saying they were all reset to 'on' during 1607 upgrade.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just wanted to let you know I solved my problem. I have always kept my external drive plugged in and never had any problems. the other day just for grins I unplugged it before I turned on my computer and it started up fine.in fact it was so fast I was convinced fast boot had been enabled. at this point I don't care I just plug it in when I do my backup.
    problem solved case closed.
    Barry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I always forget to ask if any externals are plugged in and assume if things were okay before a given event, then nothing has changed.

Just need to wait for Steve to get back to see if his problem is solved as this thread belongs to him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

bwc (2016-09-04)

Thanks
    Checking out the new version of my file manager Directory Opus, I see a statement that Windows 8 and above add a significant delay before launching applications at startup. Opus 12 supplies a button to change this.

They say it's a registry change, as follows:
    "KEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\ Serialize:Startupdelayinmsec (DWORD) = 0 to remove the delay, or deleting the value to restore it."

Another Win10 slow boot possibility might be incompatible programs trying to start--Win10 can't know less popular programs status. So check each auto-start program separately once, to confirm it works ok with Win10.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post

They say it's a registry change, as follows:
    "KEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\ Serialize:Startupdelayinmsec (DWORD) = 0 to remove the delay, or deleting the value to restore it."

Another Win10 slow boot possibility might be incompatible programs trying to start--Win10 can't know less popular programs status. So check each auto-start program separately once, to confirm it works ok with Win10.
    Would not that be slowing DOWN the boot 'Experience' , by making programs load before the desktop becomes functional?
    just my quick take....
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast