5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

really basic networking question

I have a Linksys router. When I was running Windows 7 on my desktop I installed Cisco Connect on that desktop. Subsequent to that, I connected a couple of TVs wirelessly to that router.

Recently, I bought a new laptop to run Windows 7 SP1 on, and got rid of my desktop.

When I migrated over to the laptop I didn't install Cisco Connect because I thought it might foul up my wireless connections to the TVs etc.

That's really my question: Should I install Cisco Connect on my new laptop; and, if so, will I have to go through the process of reconnecting all my devices that now run off the Linksys router?

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Why did you install Cisco Connect to begin with? If you don't have a good reason to install it then don't bother.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cisco connect was the software I needed to install to hook up my Linksys (Cisco) router, back when I installed the router on my Desktop.

Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There is almost always a way to use a browser to configure a router. Often supplied software that you install is to ease the configuration. If everything is working fine there is no need to install the software.
    Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-09-03)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    As Joe states, usually you can do without router specific software. All routers have a web based interface and it's not hard to get to it and configure the router from there. So, about the need for the software in the new laptop, I would say definitely no.

I would, alternatively, invest in controlling the router from the web interface, get the manual if you need to - it should have the default admin password. I do hope the software allowed you to change the admin password and now is a good time to do it, from the web interface, if you haven't yet.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-09-03)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Connection software is always the first thing I uninstall on any machine; Windows is quite capable of handling wireless connections (or any other type, come to that) it all by itself. And as has been said, you only need a web browser to configure the router itself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-09-03)