Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image programs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Image programs

I have been using Macrium Reflect Free for a number of years – it has saved me a lot of work on several occasions when otherwise the only option would have been re-installation of Windows 7. Now the computer has upgraded to Windows 10 I have the option of using the inbuilt image program – how do they compare in effectiveness and speed of use – should I change?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Most Loungers stick with third party programs because of their flexibility and ease-of-use.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-09-03)

Thanks
    +1 for Joe's answer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-09-03)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I'm still using Acronis. I am not aware of Windows 10 built in image functionality being better than the tools present in the previous Windows versions.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-09-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I will stick with what I know then.

Thanks
    The Windows 10 image program is basically just the Windows 7 version carried forward. Its slow and its always been a lottery as to whether it will actually work when called upon to restore the image.
    I've tried most of the free third party programs and the best I've found is Farstone DriveClone. You do need a second hard drive (best fitted internally for maximum speed, but an external one works fine). Its very fast, especially if using SSDs, and, rather than restore the image, you can just swap over the hard drives and keep on working. Great if your hard drive has failed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-09-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Windows 10 image program is basically just the Windows 7 version carried forward. Its slow and its always been a lottery as to whether it will actually work when called upon to restore the image.
    The truth !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-09-05)

Thanks
    +1 Macrium Reflect

This is very incomplete, very misleading:
    I used to +1 Acronis True Image, not anymore, I have "retired" from their license policy of every year -- either update, or, the license for that year expires when the year ends.
    I completely take back the above comment!
    I was very wrong, ruirib in his later post was right!

What I should have posted:
    ATI licenses live forever! However, I am puzzled about my experience: I purchased ATI 2014, 2015, 2016 & got 2017 beta for testing. After 2017 beta testing was over, Acronis emailed us beta testers, indicated: purchase 2017 because 2017 beta license will expire. I tried to rollback to my previous 2016, no go; tried to rollback to my previous 2015, no go.
    I do not know how to get my 2015 or 2016 back.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-09-05 at 11:04.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-09-05)

Thanks
    I would argue it, that Microsoft's business does not depend on its disk imaging capabilities working [in Windows 10] whereas Macrium Reflect's does!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-09-05)

Thanks
    The system imaging in Windows 10 is rudimentary at best but it can create an image that can be restored from. That's all it needs to do.

In fact I use it for creating images of my tablet to an SD card and have restored successfully many times.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-09-05)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    +1 Macrium Reflect; I used to +1 Acronis True Image, not anymore, I have "retired" from their license policy of every year -- either update, or, the license for that year expires when the year ends.
    Acronis licenses do not expire. I have used an Acronis 11 (I don't remember for how many years, but likely 5 to 7) license until this year. Yes, the license is good only for the version you bought, but that happens with most software, new versions must be paid for.

So, the license for that version is good for whatever time you wish. Saying they expire is wrong and misleading.

I couldn't care less about Acronis' bottom line, but there is no need to offer incorrect information.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-09-05)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, Rui.

I have Acronis 13 in use here and love it. I got to load it and then went to "Tools & Utilities*, then to "Protection Tools" and clicked on "Rescue Media". This gave me to opportunity to create a bootable CD that offers all that is needed to use AI to clone, or whatever, your machine. I fancy that your AI 11 would also offer this function. Then no entering a license number is required.

Let me try AI 10 to see if this was available then.

Have a great day. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    +1 Macrium Reflect

This is very incomplete, very misleading:
    I used to +1 Acronis True Image, not anymore, I have "retired" from their license policy of every year -- either update, or, the license for that year expires when the year ends.
    I completely take back the above comment!
    I was very wrong, ruirib in his later post was right!

What I should have posted:
    ATI licenses live forever! However, I am puzzled about my experience: I purchased ATI 2014, 2015, 2016 & got 2017 beta for testing. After 2017 beta testing was over, Acronis emailed us beta testers, indicated: purchase 2017 because 2017 beta license will expire. I tried to rollback to my previous 2016, no go; tried to rollback to my previous 2015, no go.
    I suggest you start a new thread about your issue. I would offer some advice, not sure if it will work, but best done in its own thread.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I suggest you start a new thread about your issue. I would offer some advice, not sure if it will work, but best done in its own thread.
    I was only explaining why I posted in the first place -- I was a big fan of Acronis True Image, just one of many very good image-making backup/restore program. I have no more issue with ATI
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks

The usual cause of this problem is that the uninstaller has not cleared out all the old registry entries so the installer thinks the newer program is still there and aborts the install. The solution is the Registry Editor and a lot of patience - or use Registrar Registry Manager Lite (not recommended for the inexperienced as you can easily brick the OS if you don't understand the registry):-

http://www.resplendence.com/registrar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast