5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Impossible Engine's heading to space.

Here's hoping this one actually works. Mars in 10 weeks is then doable.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...-reactionless/

Thanks
    Me too. Mars in 10 weeks is still a stretch but ...
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been reading about this, but there's no time table - it could be a ways off. My physics started getting lost when the number of sub-atomic particles got to be more than I could count on one hand. I still get some of it and like most lay people, this sounds way too off the wall. But if it works, even just a bit, then they might as well start throwing out all the text books, because they are going to have to start all over.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I've been reading about this, but there's no time table - it could be a ways off. My physics started getting lost when the number of sub-atomic particles got to be more than I could count on one hand. I still get some of it and like most lay people, this sounds way too off the wall. But if it works, even just a bit, then they might as well start throwing out all the text books, because they are going to have to start all over.
    I started getting lost when my prof started talking about 'n' dimensional space whit 'n' being more than I have fingers on one hand.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I started getting lost when my prof started talking about 'n' dimensional space whit 'n' being more than I have fingers on one hand.
    Yup. Even something seemingly simple can be made complicated. If you've read Terry Pratchett's Discworld books (if you haven't you should), you will know that trolls as a species aren't very smart most of the time. They count, One, Two, Three, Many. But leave it to some smart asses to take that and turn it into a programming language:
    http://codebyexample.info/2012/04/24...-like-a-troll/

Someone even took the simpler language of the librarian (an orangutan) which is various pronunciations of the word OOK and made a programming language out of it:
    http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/ook.html

I keep waiting for some physicist to jump up and yell, "April Fools", and tell us that they've been f*ing with us all lately and there is no dark matter or god particles or any of that scifi stuff.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Which reminds me of another ACC quote:
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "
    Cuz it all sounds a bit like magic to me

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Getting to Mars in 10 weeks is one small step in the right direction if we humans ever expect to explore the the solar system and beyond. Something much faster than rockets is needed to get us to the stars - even the the nearest one - Alpha Proxima. Gene Rodenberry had the right ideas. Now our physicists need to get on the ball and stop floundering around.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Getting to Mars in 10 weeks is one small step in the right direction if we humans ever expect to explore the the solar system and beyond. Something much faster than rockets is needed to get us to the stars - even the the nearest one - Alpha Proxima. Gene Rodenberry had the right ideas. Now our physicists need to get on the ball and stop floundering around.
    Until such time as there is FTL travel that's not effected by time dilation, interstellar travel will probably remain impractical.

For now, however, efficient travel within the solar system should keep us busy for the next hundred years or so.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware