3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Partition Numbers

I have just read the article on "partition types" in the WS Newsletter dated 2016-08-09. In there, it says "Disk number: Physical drives are automatically assigned numbers by Windows, as they're initiated. The boot drive is almost always Disk 0. Note that the drive letter (C:, D:, etc.) is not tied to the drive number; aside from drive C:, you can usually reassign drive letters as needed." The screen shot illustrates this point, where Disk 0 is the system disk (C: etc.), and Disk 1 is a backup partition (E.

I have a similar setup, two physical drives, with my drive C being where Windows 10 and programs etc. reside, and
    drive E being my data disk which stores my documents and photos etc. On looking in Disk Management, I see that Disk 0 is the E drive, with just a single partition, and disk 1 is the system drive, with partitions for System Reserved (System, Active, Primary), C: (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary), and a Recovery Partition of 450 MB, as shown in the screen shot.

Does it matter that the system disk is disk 1 and not disk 0? If it is a concern (or even if not), how do I change it? What is the "initiation" process?

Thanks
    It doesn't hurt anything on mine ( W7 ). Disk 0 is my storage drive "D" and Disk 1 is my "C" drive.
    Dsk Mngmnt.PNG
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-09-06 at 09:34. Reason: graphic

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    I have just read the article on "partition types" in the WS Newsletter dated 2016-08-09. In there, it says "Disk number: Physical drives are automatically assigned numbers by Windows, as they're initiated. The boot drive is almost always Disk 0. Note that the drive letter (C:, D:, etc.) is not tied to the drive number; aside from drive C:, you can usually reassign drive letters as needed." The screen shot illustrates this point, where Disk 0 is the system disk (C: etc.), and Disk 1 is a backup partition (E.

I have a similar setup, two physical drives, with my drive C being where Windows 10 and programs etc. reside, and
    drive E being my data disk which stores my documents and photos etc. On looking in Disk Management, I see that Disk 0 is the E drive, with just a single partition, and disk 1 is the system drive, with partitions for System Reserved (System, Active, Primary), C: (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary), and a Recovery Partition of 450 MB, as shown in the screen shot.

Does it matter that the system disk is disk 1 and not disk 0? If it is a concern (or even if not), how do I change it? What is the "initiation" process?
    Also of note is the socket the drives are plugged into on the motherboard. Most that have SATA ports are numbered as 0, 1, 2, 3, etc., may be more than 4 ports. On older computers the PATA drives have a cable for 2 drives, middle is Slave and one end is Master. Could be 2 such ports on the motherboard for a total of 4 drives which will be a combination of HDDs and ODDs. And there may be a combination of SATA ports and PATA ports.
    SATA = Serial ATA PATA = Parallel ATA both types have the IDE interface board on them.
    HDD = Hard Disk Drive ODD = Optical Disc Drive

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The disk number is usually determined by the port on the motherboard. Windows stores information about where the boot files etc are and that location may change if you swap disks around on the motherboard. UEFI fixes that issue because it no longer requires special boot information on the disk, it uses standard files in a FAT32 partition.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    On a machine with a single SATA controller, you might find that Device Manager lists the drives in the 'correct' (hardware/BIOS) order, whereas Disk Management's view is more variable. In Disk Management, drive 0 is always the Windows/System C: drive/partition, the others can be variable, as Windows allows the other drives/partitions to be given different letters. By default, secondary partitions should be listed in the same order as the first partition on their parent drive - after the last of the primary partition/drives.

Some useful pages, though I'm sure there must be something more recent out there as well (note the first line in the Preamble in the top link: "This area is a minefield for the unwary"):
    http://paulski.com/zpages.php?id=2102

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/937251

http://superuser.com/questions/66886...isk-management

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-09-06)