New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Anniversary Upgrade Hangs During Installation

Friday evening I began installation of the Anniversary Upgrade 1607 and went to bed leaving my desktop running. This morning all I saw on my screen was a Black background with a small moving circle (bottom centre). It had been trying to install for nearly 10 hours. I decided to turn off computer but the power button on my tower would not do it .... so I unplugged it.

On restart it flashed the windows 10 logo for a moment or two then came a message saying trying to recover installation and after about a minute the screen returned as described above. I waited another 5 hours and still just circling. Once again I unplugged and restarted and when the "attempting to recover etc." came up I hit the F8 key (I was trying to get the start menu to go into safe mode)and then the message changed to "rolling back to previous version" which took some time but eventually I was running again with no noticeable problems.

Windows downloaded the upgrade again and when I was finished working today about 4:30 pm I clicked the install button (thinking it may have been a corrupted file yesterday) then left the computer on to get some sleep. On awaking about 9:00 pm I found the cursed black screen with blankety blank circle. Its now 12:20 and before I unplug it and try and get it to go back to previous version I'm hoping someone may be around to offer any advise to me.

With thanks,
    Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may ignore the above as I unplugged and restarted. It went to "attempting to recover install" then after a bunch of screen flashes, the blue screen came up showing % complete as 71 and within 30 mins it progressed to complete the install. Have no idea why these problems.

Now, on to explore what has changed and identify any problems.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge.
    Congratulations on your upgrade. Let us know how things turn out.

RockE

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your welcome. After installation everything seems to be working okay

Bill

Thanks
    The last few times I've installed the latest Win10 build on customers' systems it has taken 2+ hours. E.g. earlier today I upgraded a customer's new Acer laptop (collected this morning from supplier's store) from v1511 b10240 to v1607 b14393.105. Almost 3 hours, even though I ran setup from a DVD created using the "Media Creation Tool" https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.