2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox sync messed up Firefox royally

I got my first tablet (Android) and decided to sync with my laptop (Win 7) so I could use my bookmarks on the tablet. I did the sync from the tablet and the bookmarks toolbar is a mess: some bookmarks are missing (the important ones, of course!), others are duplicated. Worse than that, the laptop version of firefox seems to be permanently set to smartphone view for websites that offer that. Specifically, BBC news is now 1 column wide in the middle of the screen, there are no tabs for navigation, and the images are at a much lower resolution.

How do I get my laptop Firefox back to normal? If necessary, I'll uninstall Firefox on both the tablet and laptop and restore my bookmarks and passwords I exported before syncing. And then I'll delete my sync account.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Thanks! I'll give that a try and post again if it doesn't work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by areader View Post
    Thanks! I'll give that a try and post again if it doesn't work.
    I would save your bookmarks before fiddling. I still have an older version of FF but Organize: Backup and Export to HTML should still be around. I frequently have problems w/ FF bookmarks and use the FEBE addon to recover my extensive bookmarks.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I would save your bookmarks before fiddling. I still have an older version of FF but Organize: Backup and Export to HTML should still be around. I frequently have problems w/ FF bookmarks and use the FEBE addon to recover my extensive bookmarks.
    What finally worked was uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox on my laptop and importing the bookmarks I'd exported to HTML (as well as the passwords I'd saved with the "Password Exporter" extension). If I can figure out how to delete my Firefox sync account, I will do that so that I can't screw up any of my computers later on. At least I now have a set of bookmarks that aren't too old in my tablet. I haven't tried to find out which ones work, which are missing, and which ones are a mess.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I sync two computers but would be hesitant to include a phone. My concern is that the two wouldn't mesh well - which seems to have happened to you. I'm going to assume that this should not have happened, but don't know for sure.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I sync two computers but would be hesitant to include a phone. My concern is that the two wouldn't mesh well - which seems to have happened to you. I'm going to assume that this should not have happened, but don't know for sure.
    It was my Android tablet. I have a dumb phone, by choice, and the tablet with its bigger screen. But I think it's all one to Sync. In any case, as I said previously, I uninstalled Firefox, reinstalled the latest version and imported my bookmarks and passwords and all is well. I even found out how to get rid of my Sync account--but that, sad to say, got rid of all my bookmarks. I'll probably have to upload the HTML file of my bookmarks and just work from there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    as well as the passwords I'd saved with the "Password Exporter" extension
    I never use a browser to save my passwords, I use a password manager. My passwords are secure, backed up and portable.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It was my Android tablet.
    I was thinking Android and wrote phone... But what i wasn't sure about are the differences between Android and Windows, regardless of platform.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted out. You still might want to check out FEBE.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.