2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post Display on Monitor has a lot of small coloured small lines - what is this?

Lately (about once a week) my PC monitor suddenly displays a lot of small vertical dashes of varying colours - sometimes this is accompanied by a loud hum if I'm playing songs on iTunes; however it is not limited to that it can happen any time. The only way I can get it to stop is by turning off the power to the PC and restarting with the power button a short time later. The PC restarts without a problem. Can any body tell me what's going on with my PC please? I don't think it's a virus as I run anti-virus software on a regular basis & nothing is found. The tower is several years old - could it be wearing out due to age? Last year I put in a new hard drive to replace the old one and it has been working fine.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Casso

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It may be a video card problem, or power supply, or motherboard...
    Is there any thing else that happens at the same time?
    What happens if you disconnect/re-connect the monitor when you get the coloured lines?
    Do you have anything else connected to the PC that you can disconnect when the problem occurs?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have anything else connected apart from my printer. This morning some of the same vertical dash lines appeared when I opened the forum, but they disappeared almost immediately and all is okay now.
    I'm beginning to think it is the video card. haven't tried disconnecting the monitor yet, have to wait for the problem to recur. I will try that when it happens again. Thanks for your post Paul T.

Thanks
    Some things to try:

Lower the screen refresh rate.

Does wiggling either end of the video cable make the lines disappear? Disconnect both ends of the video cable from PC to monitor, then reconnect them making sure they're fully seated.

Disconnect the video cable from the computer. Once the monitor complains about 'no signal' or similar, are the lines still there? That points to monitor problem--see if there's a factory reset option you can try in the monitor's own menu system.

If the lines disappear after you turn off the monitor, let it cool for a while [half a minute, not sure], and then turn it back on--that could indicate the monitor is starting to die, ie that some internal connections are failing once the monitor heats up after some use.

Have you another good monitor you could replace the current one with? If the lines don't recur, that points to the monitor going bad--if the lines recur, it points to the video cable, connectors, or card. Try a different cable, try a different connection port.

Do you have a separate video card, or does your PC use "integrated graphics"? If card, open the case, take out the video card, clean the connecting edge [with the gold 'fingers'] and any fan, and reseat the card, making sure to reseat fully. You might need to check the maker's site or watch YouTube videos for your PC model to familiarize yourself with how the card connects--it varies a bit, eg 'click-locks' and extra power connection.

When you open the case, check if the vents are clogged with dust, and clean them. Heat is the #1 enemy of hardware. Does the PC sit with a few inches space all round, so the vents have clear air flow?

Update your video drivers, from the PC maker if integrated, from the card maker if a separate card.

As Paul mentioned, there could be other hardware causes, incl RAM not properly seated, so check them all while you have the case open. However, monitor or graphics card are the most probably culprits.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    ...As Paul mentioned, there could be other hardware causes, incl RAM not properly seated, so check them all while you have the case open....
    Pay particular attention to any VGA card - in my experience what you describe in your OP (vertical lines, etc) is usually caused by bad video RAM.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.