2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Visual C+

Why do I have 17 copies of Microsoft Visual C+ Redistributable on My Win 7 64 desktop. Five of these are listed at 2005, eight as 2008 and two each of 2010 and 1012. Most have different build numbers but there are at least four sets of duplicates.
    Is there some way of determining what is necessary and then removing the others?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is extremely difficult to determine which versions are currently required. Some programs require specific versions. The only way to tell is to uninstall a version and see if anything stops working. If you choose to do that you should make sure you have the installer package for the particular version available to reinstall.
    Joe

Thanks
    I'm jealous , I only have 12, including 2x 2015, accrued since January on this install.

Are you sure the duplicates aren't x86/x64 versions (for software that can run in either natively or in 32-bit mode)? The file size difference will be significant between the different 'bitnesses' of the same version - easy to spot when scanning for dupes.

Also, listing installed programs by date should enable you to pinpoint some of the software that installed the various versions (Assassin's Creed Syndicate is responsible for my 2015 versions). Any that are a significant time period different to anything else installed would be prime candidates as orphans - providing the parent software actually installs a link into (Add/Remove) Programs - not all do!
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-09-08 at 15:58.