New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2002 data recovery (Outlook 2002)

Windows XP won't load, and I want to copy my Outlook 2002 files over to another hard drive, then format the original hard drive and start over. However, I can't figure out where my Outlook 2002 mail is stored, and it is very important to me that I get my mail back. What files is mail in? Thanks!

-mosdef

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2002 data recovery (Outlook 2002)

On the basis that you can "see" the entire XP partition (and you haven't done any customising of your installation), simply do a Search inside Windows Explorer (F3). In the "Search for files or folders named" enter:

*.pst

and for"Look in": select the drive for the WinXP boot.

HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ok I set up the drive as a slave on my other computer, and now it is drive F. I did a search for *.pst on F and nothing came up. I also tried running Outlook.exe off F, but since I also have Outlook installed on C:, I didn't get the mail I wanted (I got C's mail, not F's). Any other ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it depends on what your are using to control your dual boot. If this does not involve an imaging tool, and your reinstall of WinXP is simply going to mean your reformat of Drive F then your *.pst file is installed somewhere else. On that basis, there should be no issue. OTOH: two key things arise,

1. Your layout seems rather intricate. When I run a dual boot, my *.pst file is the same no matter which OS I am in. With some imaging tools, however, I understand that it is not possible for this to be the case.

2. This is really a question about running a dual boot and this thread should be on one of the Windows Boards. Try doing a search on "dual boot" in the Lounge or looking for some of MerC's postings.

HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, depending on the way you're using Outlook (and assuming this is the same in 2002 as in 2K), you might try looking for .ost files (offline folder files, used for offline synchronization in an Exchange environment).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just a stray thought: have you checked the option to show all hidden files and folders in WinXP? The folder in which your *.pst file is installed by default is normally a "hidden" folder. Thus, if you have not selected the "show all" option, it will not show up on a search. Try checking this.

HTH
    Gre