2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word custom ribbon slow to load

Hi all -
    I have included a custom ribbon tab in my Word template, but users started complaining that it often takes several seconds (sometimes 10-15 seconds) to display the tab. During that lag, the built-in Word tabs are visible, but not responding. Sometimes you can wait and it will display, but if you click off the Word doc and then click back on it, the custom tab is visible and all are functional.

I played around with it and noticed that it only happens when you double-click a Word doc to launch Word. If you open Word and then use File > Open, it doesn't happen.

So I expect that there is a delay because Word is starting up, then loading the document content, then loading the ribbon and inserting it in the built-in tabs.

Is that correct? Is there something I can do in the template code to reduce the lag?

Is there a better way to deploy the code? I've never built and deployed add-ins, so I'm not sure of the overhead involved. I expect it not to be a simple process.

Most of my users are still on Word 2010, but many are moving to 2013 and a few are talking about 2016.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Thanks
    I think we need a little more data. Not sure what you mean by "click off the Word doc and then click back on" -- by clicking outside the program? Or clicking another open document? Will clicking off then back on work if you do it immediately? Has the template always done this or has it started doing it? What is the purpose of the template?

It sounds like it's a document creation template. You said that once Word is open, File > Open opens a document (associated with the template) without issue. Does the template run an AutoExec macro?

Is the template local or on a network? Are any of the items on the ribbon reaching out to places on a network or the internet? Is it looking for something in the Word environment that needs to be fully loaded before it can complete loading? Have you included a gallery, for example?

I have several large templates, each with lots of macros, some which insert custom groups into existing ribbons and some with their own full length custom ribbons. They all load instantly when a document associated with it is double-clicked.

Best, Kim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Kim!
    After I posted I started wondering if an AutoOpen macro might be the culprit, and played around with it but didn't catch anything.

Your questions made me go back and dig deeper. I commented out sections of my AutoOpen macro and found that removing one process made the delay go away.

The process was intended to compare a version number stored in each document with a version number stored in template itself, to see if the template had been updated. I wrote that function a long time ago, it's kinda klunky, and it's not even really used anymore. It opens the template file in the background to grab that version number, and then closes the template file. I expect that processing the template in the background somehow delays loading the ribbon.

For now, I'll comment it out and see if i need to re-code it.

Thanks again!
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Thanks
    You're welcome Bob. I'm glad if it got you going. Kim