Thanks

Video DVDs in W10:Windows DVD player

regarding http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...35#post1066135

I believe there is a misconception that, at present there is no native support for Video DVDs in W10. I was reading the above thread and remembered reading of an addition to W10 that addressed that issue. Sure enough! See :
    Capture.PNG

Of course its a basic and basically annoying app type thingy and VLC or what ever is likely to be better but it exists!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    This is only available on systems upgraded from Windows 7 and Windows 8, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 with Windows Media Center installed. See:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-10-dvd-player

Jerry

Thanks
    There's a DVD Player app (i.e. it's not native) that was free and was downloaded automatically to devices upgrading from Win 7/8.1 that already included Media Player.

However, the 'free' period for the app has now expired. See Windows DVD Player and Getting the Windows DVD Player app for more details.

If your device didn't qualify for the automatic addition of the DVD Player app (e.g. no Media Player installed prior to an upgrade to Windows 10 or outside the qualifying period) or if you are logged on with a local account (i.e. no access to the Windows Store) or if you carried out a clean install of Windows 10 instead of an upgrade then you get a flyout instead asking you what you want to do.

For example:

no_dvd.png

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-09-10 at 12:12. Reason: Added more info

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2016-09-11)

Thanks
    Download/install the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack from: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

Includes "MediaPlayerClassic". I always install the K-Lite Codec Pack - free and works fine w/ Win10.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2016-09-11)

Thanks
    Jerry & Rick: Ok that jives with the install date, the last day possible I did not remember installing it at all which would make sense if it was automatic. I see that they want $15 for it which seems like a lot if it can not open movies on HDD.

Coochin: Thanks for the reference. I will bookmark it. I have always been leery of installing 3rd party codes; it is so hard to know just what they install (and how to uninstall). If I should need them I will be sure to monitor w/Revo Pro. With VLC being free and functional I will stick withthat.

I am still quite new to the Windows App scene, is there a way to find what Apps I purchased/own in the AppStore? And does the install date in 'Apps & Features ' change with a major update? I have read that if I purchase an App I can use it on another computer, just curious how that would be done.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I feel that the real takeaway from this is that despite all the junk* that MS loaded into the release of Win10, they don't have a DVD player. Good grief!

* Candy Crush - really, seriously, MS thought that this was important enough to load as a default app?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I feel that the real takeaway from this is that despite all the junk* that MS loaded into the release of Win10, they don't have a DVD player. Good grief!
    I'm sure that Microsoft has lots of usage data about playing DVDs in previous versions of Windows and based on that data made a decision not to pay a royalty on a DVD codec for every copy of Windows.
    Joe

Thanks
    If you download K-Lite as advised by Coochin, instead of using Media Player Classic, (install is optional), you can select Windows Media Player, which is still included in W10, as the default player and you will find that it will now play almost any video or music file regardless of format.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I'm sure that Microsoft has lots of usage data about playing DVDs in previous versions of Windows and based on that data made a decision not to pay a royalty on a DVD codec for every copy of Windows.
    So, all the free players, like VLC, are either illegal or paying a royalty?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    These are a few years old but still relevant<snip>
    Ahhh. Well, I suppose there's always the VLC universal app.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware