2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question about drive letters

I am going to re-install my SSD after sucessfully cloning my "C" drive. Initially my PC wouldn't recognize the drive, but after figuring it out in Disk Management, the SSD drive successfully cloned. My question is this. I gave the SSD drive letter "N" so it wouldn't interfere with the other drives on my PC.

I understand that the SSD should be on SATA 1 so it's recognized on bootup. Will the letter "N" cause issues when I bootup the first time? I didn't think Disk Management would allow me to rename it "C" and I actually didn't want to try it.

The other question is this...I use EaseUStodo backup, the paid version. There was a "caveat" at the bottom of the screen that mentioned Windows 10 AU only allows sector by sector backups. Should I concern myself with this? Some of the Win10 goings on give me hives as it is. TIA.

Diane
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    To answer the second question first:-
    "The sector-by-sector backup allows you to create an image of all sectors on the selected partition/hard disk. Not only the sectors with data but also the blank sectors will be backed up. As a result, this image will be almost the same size as the disk being imaged because there will be no data compression. The whole process may, therefore, take more time than normal backup."
    So nothing to worry about.
    As to the first question, you cant change C to anything else while the drive is running the OS. I usually clone my C drive to a drive designated D. When the existing drive is replaced with the clone, what was D appears as C, so I assume that the same will hold true for your N. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, it is said, so try it and see.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The sector by sector explanation makes sense to me. To take this one step further, that must mean that there will very little difference then between clone and system image backup?

Thanks very much for the help with drive letters.

D.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    Just to expand on Calimanco's post, once the cloned OS drive is attached instead of the old drive, it will be recognized as C ( no matter what you assigned it to clone it ) and then you can rename the drive to anything you want ie Local, SSD, PeachesP, etc.
    A clone is a byte for byte copy of everything on the existing OS drive so you can just swap it if you have a problem and it will be recognized just like the old one was. That is what I use for a backup solution on my computers ( 1-W10 laptop, 3- W7 desktops ) and it works well if something happens.

Thanks
    In the long run, the SSD containing Windows OS should be left as what is commonly called "C drive" -- Windows OS will work better.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sector by sector may not be good for an SSD as you need to align partitions. I would use an EaseUS boot disk to perform the clone, not do it from within Windows.
    See this EaseUS post. http://www.easeus.com/support/todo-b...hard-disk.html

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Sector by sector may not be good for an SSD as you need to align partitions. I would use an EaseUS boot disk to perform the clone, not do it from within Windows.
    See this EaseUS post. http://www.easeus.com/support/todo-b...hard-disk.html

cheers, Paul
    This is not necessary as there is an option to "Optimize for SSD" at the bottom of the "Select source disk" window.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I read the note at the bottom of the screen at EaseUS, it said the sector by sector backup is a requirement for Windows 10 AU, which I don't have yet. Anyhow, I did check the Optimize for SSD Box. Hopefully, the migration will go okay.

As always I appreciate the help.

D.