5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop powered down, now powers up and down but will not start

I was reviewing my mail this morning and my desktop suddenly shut off. Then, it restarted, but before it could fully boot, it powered down, and then it restarted. It got part way through that "restart" and then shut down. It did this a "cycle" a few times and then, i finally shut it off as it was obvious it wasn't going to start.

I am hoping someone will have had this experience, or know enough about the "techie" aspects of hardware to tell me what is happening. I suspect, but do not know, that it might be something to do with the power supply.

Any insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ron M

Thanks
    If this is an older PC it could be overheating. Open it up and blow out accumulated dust on the CPU Fan/heatsink assembly as well as the power supply with a can of compressed air. Keep the can relatively upright..

Jerry

Thanks
    It might be worth doing this outside the house, if you find that the system unit is significantly dusty...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    I agree with Jerry, my first thought also.

Another possible is the power cord--always check cables first/early in a hardware problem, it's easy to do and often solves it. Plug it into another outlet. Get another power cord and try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    I suspect, but do not know, that it might be something to do with the power supply.
    That's a reasonable suspicion, moreso if you added any new hardware [internal or external, which draws power from the PC] recently. Disconnect same and see if the problem goes away. Similarly, disconnect any other device which makes a significant power draw thru the PC--ie doesn't have it's own power cord.

It got part way through that "restart" and then shut down.
    Exactly how far did it get? Did the keyboard lights come on, did it reach the Windows loading stage?

It did this a "cycle" a few times
    That suggests that it's either reaching maximum heat tolerance, or fails when trying to power a particular device. Hopefully a good clean will do the trick, otherwise hopefully disconnecting a power draw will.

What wattage is the power supply? Do you know the make/model? The PC maker's site should have the specs somewhere.

If you're comfy doing it, open the case and unseat-reseat the connectors from the power supply to the various power-drawing devices [motherboard, graphics card, disks, fans]. Do you know if the various fans were working?
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust and don't need to go outside to do it.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You can use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust and don't need to go outside to do it.

cheers, Paul
    Problem solved. It was a faulty power cord/plug. Change them out and all is back to normal. Thanks to all for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

jwitalka, Paul T, your suggestion about a good clean out is probably appropriate. Thanks for the that.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When using a vacuum cleaner, ensure you don't contact any of the components with the hose extension because of static.