Thanks

Video driver problem

My friend has a Toshiba laptop that has been running well for months. Then 3 weeks ago the laptop screen starting showing flashes of colored lights (according to my friend), and the external monitor went blank. When I took a look at it, I found the display adapter driver showed a yellow exclamation point, said it had a probem. I uninstalled it the device (removing the driver too) rebooted, it reinstalled the device driver and both the problems were solved.

It ran fine for three weeks, but now the same thing has happened again. I am wondering if there is some kind of hardware failure.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2016-09-11 at 16:07.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you get the same in Safe Mode then it's likely to be hardware and may be the LCD screen, but I would have thought it should still output to an external monitor.

Is this a Toshiba Kira as quite a lot of people with Kiras have been reporting this problem for which replacing the screen may or not permanently fix it.

What are the temps like because overheating can also be an issue caused by the hardware problem.

If you can download HWMonitor, that will tell you the temps as well as the voltages, depending upon what sensors the machine has.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Hit the SETUP • ENGLISH button down on the left.

EDIT - If you can't download the program then the fan going full bore all of the time will be a clue.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-09-11 at 16:05.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-09-15)

Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas.

It is not a Kira.

Temperature is a good idea, but I did not give it an opportunity to cool down, I just reinstalled the driver and that fixed the issue. And do you think temps could cause the video driver to show it has a problem?

I kind of suspect that when I replace the video driver it will work again for a while, Safe Mode or regular, making it a bit difficult to diagnose.

I guess I'll run memory diagnostic, maybe chkdsk too. But I suspect hardware failure in the video adaptor.

Do you think a hardware problem can cause the driver to show an error?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I know Device Manager will show an error in the Properties of Network adapters when they are problematic, so I would expect the same for any hardware.

High temps could be caused because of a problem with the video chip - is the fan noisy ?

If you get the same problem in Safe Mode then it won't be the main graphics.

How much RAM is installed and what are you going to use for the memtest ?

Windows Memory Diagnostic can only map 4GB at a time so it would be best to run it on just one stick at a time as well.

A quick test for the memory is when more than one stick is installed, is to run it with just one stick at a time to see if and when the problem reoccurs.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-09-11 at 17:12.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    do you think temps could cause the video driver to show it has a problem?
    That's difficult to say without knowing the laptop model, or if the video is integrated or a separate card [manufactured by who?]. Companies write their drivers differently.

In addition to Sudo's useful suggestions:

Try reducing one or both of your 2 screens' refresh rates and/or resolutions. It's possible you're loading your graphics system to the max, and it's complaining. If either screen has been changed from a recommended setting, change it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    3 weeks ago the laptop screen starting showing flashes of colored lights (according to my friend), and the external monitor went blank.
    Was any other significant change made to the laptop or screens around that time?

If graphics card, did you get the driver from the card maker's site [preferable], rather than from Toshiba or Microsoft?
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-09-15)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It could be Windows updating the video driver to a "better one". What date and version is the current driver? Ditto for the troublesome one.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-09-15)

Thanks
    The computer has gotten progressively worse, to the point where it locks up during the boot process. I am going to pick it up from her today and run some memory and hard drive diagnostics, then restore it to factory settings and see how it goes from there.
    I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    An a virus scan.

cheers, Paul