Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Frozen After Crash

Oy... Try to summarise:

1. Sandybridge machine with OCZ Vertex 2 boot drive crashed today. Upon trying to reboot it kept asking me for a valid boot disk. I powered down, waited and re-started.

2. It booted up BUT... after I log in and the desktop appears I get the endlessly spinning cursor the moment I try to do -anything-. This seems to be the new normal.

3. I opened the case and the OCZ drive has a green ready light and a red error light. Both the green -and- red light are on.

4. I've tried using F4 and F5 and F6 and it won't boot into 'Safe' mode. It hangs when I do.

5. I unplugged the OCZ drive and attached to another PC. It is recognised and the files on most of the drives are visible. But again, the red -and- green lights are on. Also, the Windows and Program and Program X86 folders show as empty... which is of course... impossible, right?

So...
    1a. I assume the OCZ drive is toast, right? Or can it be rehabilitated?

b. Is there a way to boot Win10 without ANY startup programs or with a 'log' of some kind as in previous versions so I can see where it's getting stuck?

2. I just got the Win 10 'free' update from Win 7. I do not have a rescue disk. I have a DVD of the Win 10 install, but nothing with a serial number. So... if I get a new SSD, how will I validate my Win 10 install? Or do I have to buy a new license?

I'm not so worried about a 'backup' as all my data is on a separate HD which is fine. I just need the machine to boot up to Win 10 and then I can re-install what I need.

TIA,

---JC
    Last edited by suntower; 2016-09-12 at 00:34.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JC,

This sounds like a time for a judicious use of FIXMBR - but I'm a little hazy on the details. I'll let wiser heads go over said details.

Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    runGood thinking. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get the Automatic Repair to run (which I guess is where you can access the repair utilities.)

I'll try to create a Recovery Disc on another PC and see if I can boot from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    JC,

This sounds like a time for a judicious use of FIXMBR - but I'm a little hazy on the details. I'll let wiser heads go over said details.

Zig

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could create a SeaTools for DOS disk and boot up with that to check the condition of the hard drive but you may need to change the boot order.

You may be able to do that by pressing and holding F2 as you switch on.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...ls-dos-master/

Alternatively, when you have it plugged into another computer, run a command prompt as an admin an enter chkdsk x: /f where x is the assigned drive letter and see what that reports - you are looking for any KBs in bad sectors as well as any file corruption.

You should be able to see the full report in Event Viewer by expanding Windows Logs - click on Applications - Action/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the report in the scrollable window.

You can boot up with the Win 10 install disk to fix the MBR -

http://pureinfotech.com/repair-maste...br-windows-10/

Thanks
    Some OCZ SSD models had a really bad reputation for premature death and a very high rate of returns.

Try this generic 'fix' for SSDs that get 'lost' at boot: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-...tem/ta-p/65215 and have an external HDD/USB stick at hand ready to connect and copy any valued data to when/if you can get back into Windows successfully afterwards.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Some OCZ SSD models had a really bad reputation for premature death and a very high rate of returns.

Try this generic 'fix' for SSDs that get 'lost' at boot: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-...tem/ta-p/65215 and have an external HDD/USB stick at hand ready to connect and copy any valued data to when/if you can get back into Windows successfully afterwards.
    Given the time span of that article, wouldn't it have been reasonable to expect Crucial to develop a firmware so that this no longer happened - and for vendors not to fit these SSDs into laptops, if that is how they came to be installed.

Is Crucial part of the MS group where they produce stuff that isn't the finished product ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the drive is made by Toshiba.

Mark

Thanks
    It's generic, works for most, if not all, SSDs regardless of brand. It's not going to fix all issues that might occur with SSDs but it does sound like it might work with yours.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Given the time span of that article, wouldn't it have been reasonable to expect Crucial to develop a firmware so that this no longer happened - and for vendors not to fit these SSDs into laptops, if that is how they came to be installed.

Is Crucial part of the MS group where they produce stuff that isn't the finished product ?
    Crucial's firmware is fine, as are most makers. I've never needed to point a Crucial owner to that page, but even this year, I've pointed a number of owners of other brands to it and most have come back with positive results.

MS group? They're part of Micron, who've been involved with Intel and others creating the standards for SSDs, they make their own memory. They've been around for a while.

For some background history on SSD (and other major PC components) returns, take a look at the articles by hardware.fr, based on returns rates under warranty from a large Euro etailer, they're up to #14 now but I recommend you begin at #5, where there's enough SSD data to begin to show up the good from the bad models.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, I know that Crucial aren't part of MS.