New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile BIOS update in an HP Pavilion Laptop

I was planning to update the Bios in an HP dv7-2170us Pavilion Entertainment Notebook from the HP support site.
    Concluded from the site that they at HP,do not offer updates if the machine is running window 10.Claim that windows update will do the updating(I dont believe that)
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgeace View Post
    I was planning to update the Bios in an HP dv7-2170us Pavilion Entertainment Notebook from the HP support site.
    Concluded from the site that they at HP,do not offer updates if the machine is running window 10.Claim that windows update will do the updating(I dont believe that)
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    I haven't seen that. However, I've updated the BIOS of several laptops recently, including HP's running Windows 10, so assume that HP mean that Windows 10 'hijacks' the process whereby you enter the BIOS at boot-up by pressing a function key, i.e. F10 in the case of HP's.

It's easy to get around this 'hijacking'... click on the Start button then on Power. Next, just press and hold the Shift key before you click on Shutdown. Next boot you'll be able to use F10 to enter Setup (BIOS) (or F9 for Boot menu, etc.).

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Concluded from the site that they at HP,do not offer updates if the machine is running window 10
    The HP Support Assistant updates my HP ProBook 450G2 Notebook. I upgraded to W10 Pro x64 from W7 Pro x64 on 8/4/15 and it still updates from HP. I just got a BIOS update last month.
    I can also go to HP support site and DL/install whatever drivers/programs that are offered there.
    I'm not sure of exactly how you came to that conclusion for your model HP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    I haven't seen that. However, I've updated the BIOS of several laptops recently, including HP's running Windows 10, so assume that HP mean that Windows 10 'hijacks' the process whereby you enter the BIOS at boot-up by pressing a function key, i.e. F10 in the case of HP's.

It's easy to get around this 'hijacking'... click on the Start button then on Power. Next, just press and hold the Shift key before you click on Shutdown. Next boot you'll be able to use F10 to enter Setup (BIOS) (or F9 for Boot menu, etc.).

Hope this helps...

Thanks Rick.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.I think my being unable to update the BIOS is due to the fact that the HP company has stopped its support to the model I have .(HP Pavilion dv7-2170us Entertainment Notebook)
    Regards

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was informed that support for my laptop model has been stopped because it is an older model