New Lounger

Access Front End & Oracle Back End (Access 97)

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the following migration:

A migration needs to be done from Access to Oracle. All forms are designed and coded within Access VBA. I'm not that familiar with VBA and therefore not sure how it will respond or what I have to do once I get the data migrated.

I realize that an external database can be added to these forms, however, would it make more sense to code them using a new front end such as Visual Basic 6?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Plutonium Lounger
    Sacramento, California, USA

Re: Access Front End & Oracle Back End (Access 97)

You won't get best performance with an Access 97 front end unless you make changes to take advantage of the Oracle back end. That means you can't just use the existing queries, which are Jet if you are currently using an Access back end, and get better performance from Oracle. In fact, if it is like SQL Server, some of those queries may not run at all against the back end in Oracle. You're going to want to use Oracle stored procedures for many, if not most, of the things that are now being done with queries in Access, and you may want to use passthrough queries to populate lists, etc.

It makes sense to do some recoding, but whether you do it in Access or VB depends on which one you're most familiar with and what forms and report capabilities you need in the application. Unfortunately, Access and VB don't use the same forms or report generator, so moving it to VB would mean completely rebuilding the application. I don't work with Oracle, so I can't speak to the specifics, but you will face a similar problem migrating to any database server from an Access application.