Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do Windows 10 ISO downloads have cumulative fixes already applied?

Forgive me if this has already been asked. I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO a few days after the AU update was installed on my machine and I'm fairly certain the image I downloaded was at the AU update level. There have been a few fixes released since then. If I was to download the ISO image again, would those fixes be present in the ISO? I'm probably going to reinstall Windows 10 next week (too many weird permission issues) and I'm wondering if I should re-download the ISO.

Rob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As far as I know, the MCT is updated to the latest release version.

I created ISOs for 10586 then on the 13th and 26th Aug and then on the 8th Sept which will have the AU and any updates released since the AU - I hope

Were you going to do a clean or a repair install ?

If repair, it may go smoother with your antivirus fully disabled, but you could run just the Permission repairs in the Windows Repair program from www.tweaking.com but before you try either, create a system image onto external media.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See How to See what Language, Edition, Build, and Architecture of Windows 10 for a ISO file for instructions on getting the Windows version information from the ISO file.
    Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

WildcatRay (2016-09-15)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    As far as I know, the MCT is updated to the latest release version.

I created ISOs for 10586 then on the 13th and 26th Aug and then on the 8th Sept which will have the AU and any updates released since the AU - I hope

Were you going to do a clean or a repair install ?

If repair, it may go smoother with your antivirus fully disabled, but you could run just the Permission repairs in the Windows Repair program from www.tweaking.com but before you try either, create a system image onto external media.
    Sudo: I'm going to do a clean install. I did a clean install originally but I've had weird permission errors from day one; errors like this in particular:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
    and APPID
    {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}

There's a lot of documented cases of this sort of thing on Microsoft's web site and procedures for fixing it. Why a clean install should have permission issues is beyond me. Before I do the clean install I'll give the Windows Repair program; it will either fix everything or give me yet another reason to do the clean install.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    See How to See what Language, Edition, Build, and Architecture of Windows 10 for a ISO file for instructions on getting the Windows version information from the ISO file.
    Joe: Thanks!!!

Rob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    Sudo: I'm going to do a clean install. I did a clean install originally but I've had weird permission errors from day one; errors like this in particular:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
    and APPID
    {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}

There's a lot of documented cases of this sort of thing on Microsoft's web site and procedures for fixing it. Why a clean install should have permission issues is beyond me. Before I do the clean install I'll give the Windows Repair program; it will either fix everything or give me yet another reason to do the clean install.

Is that a DCOM Event ID 10016 - I keep getting those after a boot but just ignore them as I haven't had any noticeable adverse effects.

You could still get them after another clean install.

I went through the fix for that on a Win 7 machine and you have to take ownership of those two keys from Trusted Installer, but you can't hand them back afterwards which is why I haven't bothered on the machine I upgraded to Win 10.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Is that a DCOM Event ID 10016 - I keep getting those after a boot but just ignore them as I haven't had any noticeable adverse effects.

You could still get them after another clean install.

I went through the fix for that on a Win 7 machine and you have to take ownership of those two keys from Trusted Installer, but you can't hand them back afterwards which is why I haven't bothered on the machine I upgraded to Win 10.
    Yes, I found out the hard way that when you taken ownership from Trusted Installer, you can't hand it back - Windows doesn't know what "Trusted Installer" is in that context.

These errors weren't always without symptoms. Typically, I'd click on something and nothing would happen. Then I'd wait for two minutes while Windows did "something"; after that, the system would be responsive again and a message like that would be in the Event Log.

I never had this particular issue with Windows 7; according to the stuff you read on the Internet, a lot of it came about with Windows 8 which I never had the pleasure of running.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    Yes, I found out the hard way that when you taken ownership from Trusted Installer, you can't hand it back - Windows doesn't know what "Trusted Installer" is in that context.
    Go to this link and follow the instructions for creating a System Level Command Prompt and System Level Regedit.exe.

When you take ownership as System, there's no need to try to give it back to Trusted Installer. It will work just fine with System Ownership. I've used it on a number of occasions.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps that is the reason I find some desktop icons take their time in firing up after a boot or reboot.

Usually waiting a little bit after booting up before starting a program works for me.

Thanks
    It's rare that I need to access registry keys with a higher privilege than using Run as administrator on Regedit. One example is when setting an ethernet connection as metered.

When I do, instead of taking ownership, I use the portable Run as System utility from apreltech's free tools. It can be used just as easily to create a System Level Command Prompt.

runassystem.png
    Click to enlarge

It can also be used with scripts.

Examples:

Run a REG file as System: reg import C:\Temp\example.reg

Run a batch file as System: cmd /c C:\Temp\example.cmd

Run a VBS file as System: cscript //B C:\Temp\example.vbs

I haven't yet had a need to run a PowerShell script as System so I haven't tested this.

Hope this helps...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    When I used this command on a downloaded combination 32 and 64-bit file using Media Creation Tool on Sep 15, the Build Number was 10586.
    When I used this command on a downloaded 64-bit file Sep 16, the Build Number was 14393.