Star Lounger
    Hemel and/or Luton, UK, Hertfordshire, England
    Thanks

CD Writer Problems

Hello all,

I hope you can help with a REALLY annoying problem. I have a MemorexxTwentyFourMaxx CD-RW drive. I have installed it in my otherwise perfect Win XP Pro system (sys spec at the bottom) and the problem is as follows.

Basically it seems that XP does not recognise it as a CD Writer. It Shows in the hardware profile thing as "Device Type : CD-ROM" and XP does not give me that nice "Send to... " option for this drive.
    Once I installed the Easy CD Creator 5 software and its associated DirectCD bit I had another look and now I do have the "Send to... DirectCD Drive" but if I use it it says that it can't write to this CD-ROM drive. Easy CD and CD Copier both also say that they cannot find a CD-RW drive.

I have tried un-installing the drive and the software to no effect.

Any idea at all please.

Thanks

Jon Roberts
    My system is a P4 1.7Ghz with 1.5Gb RAM (yes I know ...why?), a Radeon 8500 Graphics card and a broadband Cable Modem connection, running Win XP Pro with Office XP

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD Writer Problems

I remember the same problem which I had to buy Roxio Esay CD Creator to fix. Lots of work but finally things work correctly. You must follow the directions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I saw this problem many times.
    In brief: you have two CD drives, one of them is CD-RW (haven't you?). In your configuration, CD-reader is before CD-writer in order: IDE Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, Secondary Slave, SCSI; or CD-writer was not present during WinXP installation.
    Known solution: connect CD-writer before CD-reader, reformat hard drive and reinstall WinXP.

Anybody knows another fix???

Star Lounger
    Hemel and/or Luton, UK, Hertfordshire, England
    Thanks

Thanks for the info, and I can confirm that...

a) My CD Writer is the "slave" to my DVD drive "master"

and that

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] This CD Writer was not present when XP was installed. Another slower old one was and it worked fine.

I hope that a re-install is not the only answer.

Any one else go any ideas.

Lounger
    Thanks

Had the same problem. Found that simply deleting the drives, physically swapping the drives and making the CD/RW the master, then re-installing the drives, and re-installing WinXP did NOT do the trick. Had to, in fact, do the re-format (or at least delete full Windows directory, and do a full clean install of XP. THen the CD/RW was seen correctly.
    XP seems to notice the hardware involved and remember it forever. I moved my NIC card to a different slot-and now every time I check the IP address it always warns me that another (hidden) network card has the same IP and if that card ever activates at the same time as the present card (HA! like it could-the hidden one is the current one in last weeks' slot!) all #$%@ will happen! or something similar.
    Lori