iNET Interactive
    Thanks

The slowest update in Windows history?

Windows 10

The slowest update in Windows history?

By Tracey Capen

Microsoft made Windows 10 Version 1607 (aka the Anniversary Update or AU) available this past Aug. 2.

But, over four weeks later, the upgrade hasn't shown up in Windows Update on any of the Win10 systems at my office and home.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/the-slowest-update-in-windows-history/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

techdls (2016-09-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have one that has updated

Of the 20 computers that I use or control, only one has automatically updated to 1607.

Bob
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-09-13 at 09:36.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use WSUS here on our network; when update 1607 (arrived on 08/09/16) and several subsequent updates to 1607 appeared later, I did not approve them, so none of our 40-some workstations have installed the update. Waiting for Windows Secrets seal of approval . I have a few Windows 10 computers at home, and they have never been offered update 1607.
    OBTW, all of the computers mentioned above are Windows 10 Pro.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Start tab in Task Master

Right-click Start and select Task Manager. (Yes, you no longer need to press Ctrl + Alt + Del with Win10.) Next, click the More details option and select the Startup tab.That opens a list of applications that launch during the boot process. Click the Startup impact column, and the apps will sort from High impact to None (or vise versa). Right-click a particular app and select Expand to see the impact of related processes. You can also disable loading the app at startup (see Figure 3

25 items are listed in my Start tab and all of them say Not measured for Start impact. What use can be made of that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    >Yes, you no longer need to press Ctrl + Alt + Del with Win10.

This is also works in Windows 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No wonder that update is coming out so slowly. It is not slow enough.

That update broke my system. I could not follow hyperlinks. Also, the interface to some hardware was broken. I didn’t wait to see what else was broken.

When I started to roll back, the system did not seem surprised. It asked for details on what was broken. Microsoft was using me to debug its crappy software, as usual.

After the roll-back, Microsoft Print to PDF was broken. I was able to fix it after a half-hour of googling and jumping through various hoops.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah; I manually updated like I did last November (or was it December). Not sure why within a reasonable time (2 weeks) the update wouldn't have automagically happened, but it didn't. Glad to know that at least someone actually got the update pushed like it suppose to even though only one of his 20 PCs did so. lol

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've manually updated over 20 systems in the last several weeks with no issues. But I've kept one virtual machine running Win 10 Home 1511 just waiting. Yesterday the AU update showed up and overnight it finished the download. It is now waiting for its reboot. I'll let that happen on its schedule and see how it goes. My conjecture is that as soon as Windows Secrets wrote about how slow it was, the spigot was turned all the way on <grin>.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've not seen AU on either of my systems yet but it did show up on a friends laptop yesterday. After a good long time, it had rebooted twice but came up with a blank screen.
    I restarted again to no avail. I basically discovered by accident it was sending the video to a side port rather than the screen?? And thats when I discovered it was uninstalling the update, apparently because i didn't verify it.

Nice safety feature as at first I thought it might be a video driver issue. But really goofy it did this. I mention this mainly in case anyone else runs into the issue - no video? Try the Function-F5 or similar to change screens.