Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to login to Windows 10 64bit with administrator priveleges

I have had big problems with Roboform, their support told me to install the programme whilst logged into Windows with an account having administrator privileges. I have disabled UAC so I don't have to login on bootup. How do I login to Windows with an account having administrator privileges? I have done some searching but they all seem to involve a DOS box, there must be an easier way.
    Last edited by pledden; 2016-09-13 at 05:25.

Thanks
    Right click on the installer and click on "Run as Administrator".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pledden
    I have had big problems with Roboform, their support told me to install the programme whilst logged into Windows with an account having administrator privileges. I have disabled UAC so I don't have to login on bootup. How do I login to Windows with an account having administrator privileges? I have done some searching but they all seem to involve a DOS box, there must be an easier way.
    When you first run Windows after installing it, the first account you create is placed within the Administrators group. This is different from the Administrator account. (Subsequent accounts you create are, by default, non-privileged, i.e. standard users unless the choice is made to elevate them to the Administrators group.)

If you are using the first account created then you are already logging in with administrative (i.e. elevated) privileges.

This is different from installing a program as THE Administrator (i.e. account). For this, just follow Calimanco's advice in post #2.

For more info about the difference between the Administrator account and the Administrators group, have a look at Windows Confidential: An Administrator Is Not the Administrator.

Hope this helps...

PS - You don't have to disable UAC to be able to login automatically. See, for example, Automatically log in to your Windows 10 PC.

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Administrative Account.jpg I found that I already was logging in to an administrator account so problem solved. Thank you all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pledden
    I found that I already was logging in to an administrator account so problem solved. Thank you all.
    That's good that 'problem solved'.

So you are aware (and contrary to what the screenshot shows), an account in the Administrators group does not have complete control. Post back if you continue to have problems.

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Rick, No I was not aware that it is not in complete control of my PC. I sent the same graphic to support from RoboForm and the reply was 'it was fine to install from that account' Roboform appears to be working well but I would like to be able to login having COMPLETE control over my PC. Where can I find simple instructions to achieve this?

Thanks
    In ordinary circumstances there are only 2 account groups available within Win 10's GUI, i.e. 'Standard' and 'Administrator'. (There's more but the Windows 'Accounts' GUI doesn't show them.)

For example, if you navigate to Start > Settings > Accounts then you may see something like:

w10-administrator.png

Unfortunately, 'Administrator' is a misnomer, i.e. it's not THE 'Administrator' account but, instead, is just an account in the 'Administrators' group. It's unfortunate that MS don't readily differentiate between 'Administrator' (i.e. account) vs 'Administrators' (i.e. group).

If you log in to Windows 10 with an account in the 'Administrators' group then that login account has the highest privileges that are normally available.

That's not to say that a login account in the 'Administrators' group is the highest level in terms of 'privileges'. Higher still is 'Administrator'. Even higher is 'System'.

In Windows 7 it was possible to 'fool the system' and login as THE Administrator (i.e. using the account, not the group). (I have no idea about Windows 8.x 'cos I avoided them.)

Windows 10 now prevents this, so the highest privileged account that you can log in with in Windows 10 is one in the 'Administrators' group (confusingly labelled as 'Administrator'... thank you (not), MS. ).

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-09-14 at 08:24. Reason: Corrected typo

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Rick. So are you saying that the login I have is at the highest level without carrying out an arcane process to achieve even higher levels? Why would I need even higher levels? Especially as I would be at a loss as to how to achieve such 'magic'

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pledden View Post
    Thank you Rick. So are you saying that the login I have is at the highest level without carrying out an arcane process to achieve even higher levels? Why would I need even higher levels? Especially as I would be at a loss as to how to achieve such 'magic'
    Rick is saying you have the highest level. There is no need to mess with any other permissions unless you have a problem installing or updating that is definitely related to permissions. Most users run just fine without resorting to "magic".
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe, much appreciated.