5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bluetooth Disabled on Boot

When I boot or reboot my Surface Pro 3, the Bluetooth device is disabled. I can enable it from Device Manager but it won't stay enabled when I boot.

I removed it completely and told it to delete the driver, then reinstalled it. No change.

This just started today. Nothing has been updated, nothing has been changed.

There are similar reports on the internet but they are two years old.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you have the latest Bluetooth driver?
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you have the latest Bluetooth driver?
    Yup. At least, it tells me that it is when I check. I can't seem to figure out what started this.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is related or not, but the default power plans on this computer are missing.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Yup. At least, it tells me that it is when I check. I can't seem to figure out what started this.
    I have an Asus notebook which reported having the current driver, but WiFi and Bluetooth had lots of problems. I found drivers on Intel's site that Asus doesn't know exist which fixed multiple problems. Check your chipset manufacturer's website.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you updated to the AU as I believe that has caused problems for Bluetooth and webcams.

Here are some of MS's suggestions for fixing Bluetooth problems after AU -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...tooth-problems
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-09-14 at 06:26.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you updated to the AU as I believe that has caused problems for Bluetooth and webcams.
    Still on 1511 so that's not it either. I'm going to check on the drivers, but drivers aren't the first thing I would think of when something just stops working right. Something is happening at boot to disable the Bluetooth or keep it from enabling -or- something is disabling it on shutdown.

I swear, while I like having this Surface Pro 3 as a secondary computer, there's hardly a month goes by where I'm not having to fiddle with something. I've already had to reset it twice to deal with problems than came up while trying to do a few "non-standard" things.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That puts me in mind of the joke -

Patient says to Doctor - "It hurts when I do this".

Doctor - "Well stop doing that".

What non-standard things are you doing ?

Usually drivers are the first things to go for, but does Reliability history have anything to say about it ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What non-standard things are you doing ?
    AFAIK, nothing. This is one of those "worked one day and didn't the next". As a veteran computer consultant, I know that software doesn't just spontaneously mutate overnight - something changed.

I got tired of screwing with it and restored to an image from the start of the month and it's all fine and dandy now. We'll see if it stays that way.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Fingers crossed then - but I would have thought something would have been recorded for its failure - if not in reliability history, then in Event Viewer - but as a consultant, I would assume you had already checked that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fingers crossed then - but I would have thought something would have been recorded for its failure - if not in reliability history, then in Event Viewer - but as a consultant, I would assume you had already checked that.
    First thing I looked at was the Event Viewer - no indication of any problem. I actually don't believe anything was failing, per se. I think, for no good reason other than gut instinct, that the it was turning off when it was shut down.

Also, as I mentioned, the default Balanced power plan was missing. After the restore it was back again. Are the two related, who knows. But I hate coincidences.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I thought that was strange but didn't have an answer for it.