New Lounger
    Thanks

Difference in dir and xcopy parsing

I'm working to do selective backups to my NAS and after that's working, selective "freshening" of a smaller disk on my notebook. I've used xcopy for over 20 years, and it will do what I want ... if I can solve a puzzle.

I'll use real directory names here; the following works as I expect

c:
    cd "\Users\George Bynum\Documents\EHTS\"
    n:
    cd \ehts
    xcopy C:*.* . /D /E

The following gives me File not found - *.*

c:
    cd "\Users\George Bynum\My Documents\_pdf\"
    n:
    cd\_pdf
    xcopy C:*.* . /D /E

BUT ... dir c:*.* from n:\_pdf works and finds 210 files and 224 directories

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    "My Documents"? Do you have such a folder? "My Documents" isn't a default folder in Windows 10.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    "My Documents"? Do you have such a folder? "My Documents" isn't a default folder in Windows 10.
    VERY interesting question ... I copied those from my cmd prompt ... and dir works on the "My Documents". I'm not at the system, but will check later tonight.

Thanks
    If you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, there may be a residual "My Documents", but it is a Junction Point to the "Documents" folder, not a folder itself. Some utilities do not traverse Junction Points very well.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

gbynum (2016-09-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The My Documents vs Documents was the problem. I did not upgrade from an older version, but did copy lots from the retired Win7 system ... that must be where something came from. Thanks bbearren