2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Anti-Theft Tracking And Physical Security Questions

I recently purchased a new Surface Book (i7). I am wanting to take preventative measures to protect my machine (and data) against theft), as well as be able to track my machine in the event it was stolen (since my Surface Book wasn't exactly cheap).

Here's what I have done so far:

1. For tracking tools, I have both Find my Device enabled in Windows 10 settings, plus I have installed Prey. I'm on the paid subscription to Prey so I have the remote wipe capabilities in the event I would need to wipe any personal data from my machine in the event it was stolen. I also decided to use Prey since it has a mobile app I can use to track the device from my iPhone which might be easier than trying to track the device from my Microsoft Account. Are these measures enough for solid tracking in the event my Surface Book was stolen?

2. I have also encrypted my drive with BitLocker and use a strong password on any admin accounts to ensure a thief cannot (easily) gain access to my data in the event my Surface Book was stolen. However, in order for the thief to get the Surface Book online enough for me to track it, I created a "dummy" standard account, allowing the thief online access without accessing my admin and work accounts. Is this the correct strategy to implement here?

3. Lastly, what would be the best way to lock a Surface Book to a desk when I'm not around it? I have a Kensington Lock, but I'm not seeing a lock port on the Surface Book itself. I have the Surface Dock which has a lock port, although I don't see how locking the dock would lock the Surface Book to a desk.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Sounds like you are about as protected as you can be with steps 1 and 2. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I like the dummy standard account. That is a very clever way of keeping out all but the most expert of people. It may even keep out the experts.

The only weakness in this scenario is if someone were to swap out the hard drive. They would gain a Surface Book minus the hard drive. (I assume that all of the protective measures are installed on the hard drive, and not in the BIOS.)

On my Dell docking station, when I snap in my laptop, I move a switch forward, which prevents the eject button from being pressed. The lock device prevents the switch from being moved backward, which means that the eject button can't be pressed. I'm sure that your Dock works the same way.

All someone needs to do is cut the cable in order to steal your laptop, so it doesn't give great protection. But it would look rather suspicious if they were carrying the laptop with a docking station (and a cut cable) attached.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-09-14 at 15:39.

Thanks
    Your data would very likely be secured even if the device was stolen; and, I recommend using something similar to Macrium Reflect to make un-encrypted full images or data folder/file images onto trusted in-the-house external media.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Sounds good about steps 1-2. Glad to know I've taken great measures there.

I thought the dummy standard account would be a good idea. I even gave it the clever name of "Company Admin" so a thief thinks it's an admin account when, alas to them, it isn't. :-)

That would be the one area in which it would be an issue if someone were to pop the drive. Since the drive is an SSD inside the display unit, Microsoft hasn't made these extremely "repairable", so in order to swap the drive, it would take some effort, and they'd likely damage the Surface Book in the process unless they were extremely good with hardware repair.

I'll look for that on the dock, although what's strange is the Surface Book doesn't just "dock" into the dock. It uses a power cable connector which seems that someone could easily in-plug, or cut the power cable to release the machine (although it'd be a "shocking experience").

True about them carrying the machine around with a dock and cut cable looking suspicious.

I do use Macrium Reflect to image my drive to a Drobo NAS box in-house. The data is encrypted so if someone decided to steal the NAS, they still couldn't get the data. I also backup online to CrashPlan Central if I needed to recover my data in the event of the largest catastrophe.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    3. Seems there aren't any decent ideas for a physical lock.
    You're never meant to be apart from your beloved.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hee hee! I don't plan to be apart from my Surface Book much. I'm on it most of the day.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.