iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Preparing for another Windows-updating change

Patch Watch

Preparing for another Windows-updating change

By Susan Bradley

Given the heavy load of September patches, we might be looking forward to the new Win7 and 8.1 rollup-updating model that's scheduled to debut in October.

Patch rollups might be more convenient, but the new format will give you less control over updating and change how we report on individual fixes.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/preparing-for-another-windows-updating-change/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PC, KB3184471 (MS16-110) is not listed even though it applies to Win7. Also, an earlier update which I had on hold has disappeared but I have not installed it.

In contrast, KB3172605 (July rollup) has reappeared despite the fact that the knowledge article gives no indication that it has been reissued (or why).

Very strange...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Installation of Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189866) hangs when installed via Windows Update. I see reports of this via Bing search in addition to our own experience. The workaround is to obtain the standalone installer from the Microsoft Update Catalog and install it manually.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patermann View Post
    On my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PC, KB3184471 (MS16-110) is not listed even though it applies to Win7. Also, an earlier update which I had on hold has disappeared but I have not installed it.

In contrast, KB3172605 (July rollup) has reappeared despite the fact that the knowledge article gives no indication that it has been reissued (or why).

Very strange...
    KB3184471 showed up on 2 of my W7 computers but not the 3rd one.