Thanks

Show windows side by side (Taskbar Command) No way to correct?

In Win7 and Win8.1, the "Show windows side by side" command in the Taskbar context menu would, for example, take the 2 (restored up) windows and display them side by side with each taking up half the screen. In Win10, however, the command stacks the 2 windows in the left half of the screen with each window having just a quarter of the screen while showing the desktop in the right half of the screen.

In Win10, the geniuses at Microsoft have made this command worthless. Before, with 2 clicks, I had a spreadsheet on one half and the web page with the information I was looking to transfer to the spreadsheet in the other half of the screen. In Win10, I now have 3 prolonged steps (using snap-to) to achieve what I could do before in two simple steps.

Can anyone confirm that there is no way to correct this command in Win10, that we are stuck with this odd behavior instead of having the command function as it used to in Win7 and Win8.1?
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Thanks
    Try using the Windows key + the right (or left) cursor key. See if you like that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Try using the Windows key + the right (or left) cursor key. See if you like that.
    I see that that is a keyboard shortcut for snap-to. Unfortunately, snap-to is not a substitute for the way "Show windows side by side" used to work. Color me disappointed in Microsoft.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried Task View to see if that gives you something nearer to what you want -

http://www.howtogeek.com/197625/how-...in-windows-10/

I used to find the side by side useful in Win 7 when I used it - don't need it these days.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you tried Task View to see if that gives you something nearer to what you want -

http://www.howtogeek.com/197625/how-...in-windows-10/

I used to find the side by side useful in Win 7 when I used it - don't need it these days.
    Well, I do still use it. That's why I am disappointed in how it has been changed in Win10.

The logic escapes me as to why it apparently is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO important to have half the (dare I say empty) desktop appear on-screen while the two windows I am working with/in are squeezed into their own little quarter of screen.
    Ray

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you drag the window to the top left or right of the screen you get 1/4 sized windows on the top. If you drag the window to the CENTER left or right you get 1/2 sized windows. Hope this helps.
    Ron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatRay View Post
    The logic escapes me as to why it apparently is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO important to have half the (dare I say empty) desktop appear on-screen while the two windows I am working with/in are squeezed into their own little quarter of screen.
    Gotta agree with you there, Ray. I wasn't even aware of this, as I always use the WinKey+L/R for my side-by-side needs. MS may change it back if enough people complain.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Use the Feedback app. Search for your issue. Upvote it if you find it. Add new Feedback explaining what you want if you can't find it already there.
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you drag a window to the right or left it sizes to half screen. The other open windows appear as choices on the other side. Clicking on one sizes it to the other half of the screen, a click-drag and click process. Would this be a useful workaround?

Mark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mledman View Post
    If you drag a window to the right or left it sizes to half screen. The other open windows appear as choices on the other side. Clicking on one sizes it to the other half of the screen, a click-drag and click process. Would this be a useful workaround?

Mark
    That is the "3 prolonged steps" I refer to in my initial post.
    Ray

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Use the Feedback app. Search for your issue. Upvote it if you find it. Add new Feedback explaining what you want if you can't find it already there.
    That is probably the best hope of getting this corrected.
    Ray

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a command I never paid much attention to, but I looked at how it behaves now and can't help but agree that I can see no logical reason for having changed it. As it functions now, it is pretty much useless. Plus, it looks like it's a mistake since it's really stacked rather than side by side. Weird!
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)