2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win Update not offered

I can see why people are turning to Apple more and more.I have always set my computer to allow me to decide what and when to download(waiting for Susanne Bradley's article first).Not only the downloads take for several hours,but lately THE UPDATES ARE NOT EVEN OFFERED.I have to manually ask to check for updates.The first response is your computer is up to date,which is untrue,like just now,I had no updates offered for September,and now I started search for updates and this can go on for hours also,and I still do not know,whether the updates will appear and if so,in how many hours.That is MS for you!I have win 7 Home,my internet speed varies betw.15 and 25 Mbs/sec.Admittedly,my computer is about 5 yrs old and thus a bit slow in spite of the above speed available.I read articles from others with similar problems,it seems there is no easy(if any)solutions.I am not knowledgeable enough to carry out complicated responses.Any ideas?

Thanks
    This has been posted about frequently. Have a look at How to fix Windows Update slow downloads here on WSL to get you started.

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-09-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Just be aware that Apple only releases updates over which you have no control. No picking and choosing. Search some of the Apple support forums too. They are not problem free.
    Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-09-16)

Thanks
    To add to Joe's comment, the latest Apple IOS update bricks some Iphones and Ipads:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...tware-and-wha/

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-09-16)

Thanks
    If the OP decides to stick with windows this article may be of interest.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/312...r-updates.html

KB 3185911 speeds up the Windows 7 scan for updates

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-09-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    To add to Joe's comment, the latest Apple IOS update bricks some Iphones and Ipads:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...tware-and-wha/

Jerry
    To be fair to Apple, I understand that once again it was the method of updating to iOS 10, i.e. over wi-fi to devices with insufficient storage space left to allow the unpacking of the update that caused the problem (as per usual) rather than the update itself.

People (like me) who used iTunes to update (a ~1GB download) didn't have a problem with any of their devices. This issue comes up every time there's a major update to iOS... but some people just don't learn, even when it's really, really simple - connect to iTunes, backup, download (so the unpacking takes place on the PC/laptop/whatever) then install to iPhone/iPad. Instead you see comments like (in the article) "I don't even know if I have iTunes or a free USB port!".

I'm not sure what Apple can do about this other than stop OTA updates, which IMO would be a backward step. So I guess we'll just have to put up with 'Apple bricked my iPhone' stories every time there's an iOS update (instead of 'My hundreds of selfies and multiple fart apps took all my available storage space so I bricked my iPhone myself, again' ).
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-09-16 at 05:42.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-09-16)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What you write is quite true,but at least these updates are available easily.As it is I did not download IOS 10 on my iPad(choice?!),will see if I shall.I finally managed to download Sept.'s Win updates,12 offered,10 downloaded(2 are waiting as suggested by Ms.Bradley),IT TOOK ALL DAY!Over 10 hours to complete!And I had to search for it.It ws not offered.