3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Download - Security Warning

Last night and this morning I successfully installed Windows 10 updates into my 3 Windows 10 machines, including 1 laptop and 2 desktops. Now this afternoon I find a "File Download - Security Warning" popping up EVERY SINGLE TIME I double click on a Favorite to open up a webpage to view it.

Now, nobody appreciates added security more than I do, but I find this invasive and very annoying. Is there any way of disabling this warning or shutting it off. I would appreciate hearing from anybody who can tell me how to shut this darned obnoxious (and unneeded IMHO) thing off. Please send step-by-step directions if you can. Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

David E. Cann

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is it any Favorite or a specific one? Where are your Favorites stored? Did you import them from another machine / installation.
    Does it happen if you type a URL in the address box?

cheers, Paul

p.s. You can insert images directly into a post by saving the image as a PNG and using the "Insert Image" icon/button. This saves us having to download and virus scan PDF files.

Thanks
    If you're meaning from within Google Chrome, I downloaded and installed a 3rd party "download unblocker" utility.
    I finally got tired of not being able to download even the harmless gifs from various Windows forums, and numerous other very well-respected sites -- I have the shortcut to the EXE in Windows Startup folder -- no more problems.
    I wholeheartedly recommend staying away from "yellow and red" sites, remain with "green" sites when using GC Download Unblocker. I suspect my Emsisoft AM/AV will catch any hidden danger.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-09-16 at 05:28.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks

A Fix

Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    Last night and this morning I successfully installed Windows 10 updates into my 3 Windows 10 machines, including 1 laptop and 2 desktops. Now this afternoon I find a "File Download - Security Warning" popping up EVERY SINGLE TIME I double click on a Favorite to open up a webpage to view it.

Now, nobody appreciates added security more than I do, but I find this invasive and very annoying. Is there any way of disabling this warning or shutting it off. I would appreciate hearing from anybody who can tell me how to shut this darned obnoxious (and unneeded IMHO) thing off. Please send step-by-step directions if you can. Thank you.
    enter this at elevated command prompt: PUSHD C:\Users\user name\Favorites
    ICACLS *.URL /L /T /SETINTEGRITYLEVEL MED

replace user name with your user name; I had to do it twice for it to take hold. And it does work when entering new sites to favorites (some said it had to be done for each new entry - it doesn't)

good luck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginzo View Post
    enter this at elevated command prompt: PUSHD C:\Users\user name\Favorites
    ICACLS *.URL /L /T /SETINTEGRITYLEVEL MED

replace user name with your user name; I had to do it twice for it to take hold. And it does work when entering new sites to favorites (some said it had to be done for each new entry - it doesn't)

good luck
    ok, it doesn't apply to new shortcuts added; so until MSFT fixes it, I guess I'll just routinely run the command weekly or so.

Thanks
    I completely misread the thread, adding to Favorites! Well, anyone wanting to download install EXEs and ZIPs can use my idea
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/