2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question About Windows 10 Quick Assist App

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update includes a new app called "Quick Assist" which allows one to remote into another Windows 10 machine for technical support.

I read "Quick Assist" is a Windows 10 Pro-only feature.

My question is: Does Windows 10 Home allow for one running Windows 10 Pro to remote into it over "Quick Assist", or do both machines have to be running Windows 10 Pro in order for it to work?

I have a couple clients on Windows 10 Home out of state I do remote IT consulting for. They're on limited income and cannot upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. This would be an extremely simple way for me to remote into their machines from my Surface Book without putting them through a bunch of hoops.

I'm grandfathered into a free "mobile" plan with Citrix GoToAssist where I can use my iPhone or iPad to remote into people's machines for free (yes, for free, unlimited, without paying for a GTA subscription, and legally without hacking it). However, that plan is for my iPhone and iPad only, and I'm slowly phasing out my iPad and phasing in more work on my Surface Book. I've found my Surface Book does everything my iPad does and a whole lot more, and I don't see the need to continue using my iPad in the future.

So I'm trying to determine if I can use "Quick Assist" for my remote troubleshooting program, if I'll have to bite the bullet and pay up for a full GoToAssist subscription (which is insanely expensive since I don't remote into people's machines all the time and don't know how I'd justify the expense), or if I need to look into other options. I am a Citrix SAAS Partner so I could see if they'd cut a discount deal with me as a referral partner.

Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I've only seen that the Anniversary Update or later is required on both machines. I've not seen a "Pro" requirement.
    Joe

Thanks
    I've just checked and QuickAssist is available in Windows 10 Home Anniverserary Update.

quickassist.png
    Click to enlarge

Note that the 'helper' needs to log into a Microsoft Account to use the service (whilst it looks like the person being helped only needs to enter a 6-digit number provided by the 'helper').

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com) may be a better option.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very nice! Thanks for pointing this out to me! I can easily login to my MS Account, so this will be super simple when I need to perform remote troubleshooting. I'll keep my iPad/GTA around until I make sure all my client's computers receive the Anniversary Update, and once I know they all do and I can show them through GTA how to use Quick Assist, I can move over to that and not worry about a GTA subscription (I may keep GTA running on my iPhone so I could emergency remote into a client's machine when away from the office).

All of my clients I remote into use Windows 10 and will receive the AU, but not all have Pro, so this is great to know.

I have also used TeamViewer in the past, but I've had a few performance issues with it. GTA is really solid, but the price tag that comes with running it on Windows vs using it free on my iPhone and iPad is a little steep since I don't frequently remote into people's machines. If I were doing it daily, I'd purchase it in a heartbeat. Since it's only occasionally, I don't see the expense worth it.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.