New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 will not update to version 104393

I turned on my computer which has windows 10 on it. Windows update said to update to version 10493 because I had version 10241. I think the version numbers are correct. I did not pay attention to that. I updated to the current version and the computer restarted and was installing the new version. I walked out of the room and when I came back, the screen said restoring old version.

This has happened twice in the last 2 weeks. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Use the Update now button at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 but fully disable your antivirus program before the install.

Lower down will give you the option to create bootable media using the MCT to try and upgrade through a repair install.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had three failures by Windows Update to go to 1607 and had similar symptoms to what you reported. Then forced an upgrade with a downloaded file (via Media Creation Tool) and got an error code which with a Google search got me to a Windows forum with a comment that the code indicated that I had TWO Windows installations on my computer. I have a new SSD with my Windows 10 OS on it, user files on the old 2 TB HD, but also on the old HD is the OLD Windows 10 installation which I migrated to the Samsung SSD a few weeks ago. Apparently that confuses the AU installer. Unhooked the old HD SATA cable and Win10 AU installed nicely, then reconnected the HD and all's still well. For whatever it's worth, that's my experience. Oh, the last error codes were 0x80073B92 - 0x20009.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I made a mct disk. I then disabled virus protection. Same problem. Windows will not upgrade. I will try and renaming the old windows file and see if that works.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Shrank" my old HD as much as possible and left the old installation in its own partition "X", then used the rest of the HD for my big files. Installer did not like it. Suspect it'll be hard to disguise a Windows installation though. They are usually pretty resistance to being changed or deleted. May try to format that partition one of these days though. Any suggestions would be appreciated from the lounge though. I've taken three computers through the AU upgrade here now, first one was automatic, came home and it was awaiting a password to finish rebooting, 2nd one is this one with a SSD and a HD and was trouble, third one is a 32-bit Win10 Pro notebook and ended up using MCT to install directly from a file on that one which worked. Windows Installer couldn't complete on it either. Experience with the upgrade after installation is all pretty good though. Good luck!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since nothing seems to work to get the upgrade, I thought about formatting the hard drive. I downloaded the iso installation using the mct tool. If I boot to the dvd, will that disk allow me to format the drive and do a clean installation?