Thread: XPS Features

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XPS Features

I currently have the two XPS-related features (XPS Viewer and XPS Writer) disabled under Windows 10 Features since I'm not using them and solely using PDF.

My question is: Is there any good reason to enable them, or should I leave them disabled and just stick with PDF viewing across the board?

Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Thanks
    Try turning your question around. Have you ever needed to view an XPS file or create/send one to someone else?

PS - Bear in mind that Microsoft's built-in 'create PDF' doesn't appear to be particularly efficient in terms of file sizes by comparison to other PDF print-to-file utilities. See my Win 10 'Print to PDF' file size comparison thread for more info.

Hope this helps...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    No need for XPS unless you get an XPS file.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds good. I don't see myself needing to view XPS docs. Thanks for the info on Win 10 Print to PDF as well. I do have Adobe Pro installed which installed its own PDF printer and export option into Office. Should I start using that to export PDF's instead of Microsoft's built-in option since I have more control over exported PDF documents? Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Parker
    Thanks for the info on Win 10 Print to PDF as well. I do have Adobe Pro installed which installed its own PDF printer and export option into Office. Should I start using that to export PDF's instead of Microsoft's built-in option since I have more control over exported PDF documents? Thanks!
    I don't know... I don't use either. I understand Adobe creates searchable PDF's and don't know if this is available with MS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds good. I'll play around with exporting a PDF with both and see how well it goes. Adobe's might be better since they've had more years of experience with it than Microsoft. :-)
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use both; confort zone's with PDF files but I do use XPS as well since I haven't downloaded a PDF distiller for my XP VM (sandbox) and don't have USB enabled in my XP VM. When I share printouts to my host (Win10) I use XPS. What's cool about XPS is you can right-click and open as archive (via Peazip) and I can extract image files and such at will that's embedded in the XPS file.

Thanks
    I don't believe I've ever seen an XPS file. That said, I don't see any reason to disable XPS, because you never know when you might see one. Also, you never know when you might want to print something, and your printer is down, and the only way to save the print job for later is to print to XPS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen a few on Microsoft's website in the past, but they usually provide PDF versions of the files as well, so I'm not seeing the benefit of XPS. In terms of printing, you can Print to PDF directly in Windows 10, plus Adobe Pro comes with a Print to PDF option, plus on older PC's, I've used the free CutePDF which was solid, so there are options to Print to PDF without relying on XPS.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.