2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FTP Client for Windows 10

When I was on a Mac, I could read but not write to FTP servers using the Mac's built-in file manager (the Finder). I had to turn to a third party FTP option such as Panic's Transmit.

Now that I'm back on Windows, do I need to install a third party FTP client, or can I read/write to FTP servers using File Explorer? I "thought" I had accessed an FTP client through Windows Explorer back on Vista or Windows 7 in the past.

Additionally, is there any good reason to install a third party FTP client (such as CyberDuck) in addition to using the FTP client built into File Explorer if it is already built-in?

Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I use the free FileZilla.
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    +1 for FileZilla

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ditto. I've used CuteFTP from Globalscape since back in about '99 or '00, have it on a Desktop and a Notebook but using FileZilla on others.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds great! I'll give FileZilla a spin. Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a fan of winscp (www.winscp.net).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds good. I'll compare it to FileZilla and see what I want to do. Thanks!
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
    Additionally, is there any good reason to install a third party FTP client (such as CyberDuck) in addition to using the FTP client built into File Explorer if it is already built-in?
    No: How to Connect to FTP Servers in Windows (Without Extra Software)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2016-10-09)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When I was on a Mac, I could read but not write to FTP servers using the Mac's built-in file manager (the Finder). I had to turn to a third party FTP option such as Panic's Transmit.

Now that I'm back on Windows, do I need to install a third party FTP client, or can I read/write to FTP servers using File Explorer? I "thought" I had accessed an FTP client through Windows Explorer back on Vista or Windows 7 in the past.

Thanks!
    That's the "beauty" of Windows, when applications become more popular or useful they tend to find their way into Windows, hasn't always been that way which is the reason third-party software was necessary.

Thanks
    By about 1998 I had tried several then-available FTP programs which worked quite well. But when I tried "Windows Commander" I was so impressed I bought a licence for it and ever since it is one of my most-used programs. About the early 2000s Micro$oft took exception to the "Windows Commander" name, so the author renamed it "Total Commander" (TC). I have since upgraded TC regularly as the author added features and/or bugfixes, and have never been asked to buy any "licence upgrade".

TC does much, much, much, more than just FTP; TC is probably the best "file manager" there is for Windows and works in all versions of Windows since 3.1 (I have TC [v8.52 Final released September 9, 2015] on all eight of my Windows systems including three Win10 systems). I also have TC on the USB Thumbdrives I use when working on customers' systems because it saves me having to "jump through hoops" accessing hidden/system files etc.

Check it out: http://www.ghisler.com/index.htm

TC.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    is there any good reason to install a third party FTP client (such as CyberDuck) in addition to using the FTP client built into File Explorer if it is already built-in?
    Well, obviously if you're getting poor performance from FE's FTP... but you knew that, right?
    Windows generally includes a basic version of an app--eg Notepad, Backup, etc--which works fine for small or infrequent needs, and leaves it to others to produce advanced apps for advanced needs. I assume Win's FTP is the same 'grade'--but dunno, haven't used it.

I went thru a number of FTP clients last decade, and found some good ones like CuteFTP, SmartFTP, WS_FTP. None great though, until I found Directory Opus as my final file manager [having tried a dozen+ of those too], and discovered its FTP was the best I'd experienced.

If you need to access a number of different FTP sites simultaneously, as I used to need to do for a weekly task, it's so efficient to click once [on a saved view via taskbar icon r-click], and have them all opened in various tabs--beside the local tabs--ready for file ops.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was thinking Windows did have built in FTP, so I'm glad to see the instructions. I'll compare it with the other options given here. I don't heavily use FTP (only occasionally), so I'll just see how fancy I need to get for my needs. :-)
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.