Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

DL Speed Fix STOP WU Nets "STOPPING"

To Install magic DL FIX patches I previously have had problems getting WU to STOPPED Vs. "Stopping" in Services.
    With only ave expertise I lucked into getting WU running again and Updates downloaded for reasons I couldn't guess at.

An MS Engr's directions (MS forum) for the WU "Stopping" issue involve Admin Cmd Prompt STOP / START of 4 Folders - AND - Renaming Win\SoftwareDistribution and Sys32\Catroot2 to [.old] -- AND Rename permissions are denied in Admin Cmd Prompt & Explorer.

I SEE the List Fine; It just won't START DOWNLOADING.

Any WU STOPPED Vs STOPPING Help is appreciated so I can try installing KB3185911.
    Last edited by CraigS26; 2016-09-17 at 10:22.

Thanks
    Try the install immediately after a reboot or shutdown+restart, the Windows Update Service is Delayed start by default (check and reset it to Delayed, if it isn't already) so you should have a couple of minutes free of interference.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Try the install immediately after a reboot or shutdown+restart, the Windows Update Service is Delayed start by default (check and reset it to Delayed, if it isn't already) so you should have a couple of minutes free of interference.
    Thanks. WU was already set as Automatic (Delayed Start) and I tried immediately when able in a Re-boot.
    No Luck.

Clking on the Windows Update line in Services offers DISABLED. WHAT's the difference in clk'ing Stop (sticks on Stopping) and Disabled (haven't tried)?

Thanks
    Try setting it to Disabled and then rebooting to try to run that KB again, if it's successful (it should require a reboot) reset WU to Delayed before going ahead with the reboot. After rebooting, immediately try running WU again, when you get the WU screen/list, don't install them right away, force a fresh check for updates to ensure it's working correctly first.

Basically, if it doesn't stop on command, you're stuck as *something* is preventing it from closing, Disabling it means it won't run after a reboot, until it's Enabled again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sometimes an update won't install when the WU service is disabled or stopped.

Are you getting the update but hangs on downloading or are you getting a fail to install with an error code ?

If it's hanging on the download then try it with your antivirus program disabled.

Were the cmds the MS tech got you to run, these -

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

These reset Windows Update.

Which ren got you the permissions error ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Try setting it to Disabled and then rebooting to try to run that KB again (Trying to follow Woody's latest suggestion that KB 3185911 is the KEY to OK Downloads of Selected Patches (ie) If you want to install that patch alone, see the two-step method I posted last month (you only have to do Step 2 this month), and substitute KB 3185911 in Step 2. Make sure you follow the instructions and turn off the Windows Update service at the right time. -- (http://www.infoworld.com/article/310...ate-scans.html) -- ALL suggestions require WU STOP in Services BEFORE installing KB 3185911 - so I cannot try KB install yet / I've tried 10/11 W7 Update List (Silverlight omitted per Woody) and nothing starts),

if it's successful (it should require a reboot) reset WU to Delayed before going ahead with the reboot. After rebooting, immediately try running WU again, when you get the WU screen/list, don't install them right away, force a fresh check for updates to ensure it's working correctly first.

Basically, if it doesn't stop on command, you're stuck as *something* is preventing it from closing, Disabling it means it won't run after a reboot, until it's Enabled again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Sometimes an update won't install when the WU service is disabled or stopped.

Are you getting the update but hangs on downloading or are you getting a fail to install with an error code ? NO ERROR CODE; Download of 10/11 Selections just NEVER Starts.

If it's hanging on the download then try it with your antivirus program disabled. ESET ESS WAS DISABLED

Were the cmds the MS tech got you to run, these - YES YES

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Access Denied in Admin Cmd Prompt and "File in use" when attempted oin Explorer. Entered the net Start Cmds after that & Exit'd out / ReBooted.

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

These reset Windows Update.

Which ren got you the permissions error ?
    SEE my Comments / Answers in the QUOTED POSTS. Haven't done anything awaiting your Replies.
    VERY Much appreciate the Help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What did the MS tech say when you got the access denied ?

Boot up into Safe Mode and try the cmds again.

From your reply, I assume you didn't execute the ren catroot2 cmd ?

If you did, then you can leave that one out when you run them again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    What did the MS tech say when you got the access denied ? The 4 item string ref by Sudo15 post was from a Win Forum for a guy who complained of WU Stopping Vs Stopped. No interaction with him.

Boot up into Safe Mode and try the cmds again. Rename SoftwareDistribution in Safe Mode produced ["C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution is not recognized as an internal or external command. Inoperable program or batch file.
    Couldn't do the net start commands in Safe Mode so rebooted to Win and entered net starts via Admin Cmd Prompt.

From your reply, I assume you didn't execute the ren catroot2 cmd ? Correct

If you did, then you can leave that one out when you run them again.
    EDIT 3:04 pm 9/18: Just tried the 10/11 Updates DL List one last time and finally got Preparing to Install / Creating Restore Point ... which it Got Stuck Doing. Clk'd Stop installation and am back at -0-. I DO SHOW a Restore Point about 5 minutes before this last try and I swear I don't remember running WU DnLoad - but must have to cause it. Also made a manual Restore Point to see if it Worked, and it said it did but seemed fairly quick.

It turns out that the Malicious Software Tool DID RUN (WU History) and One Office Update shows "Failed" while the screen showed 0% Downloaded and no progress bar indication.

Thanks for the interest but I don't want to become a Forum Project. Will try to find some local help. All the best!
    Last edited by CraigS26; 2016-09-18 at 16:24.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Local help would probably do exactly the same things we are asking you do and cost you, whereas all help on here is free.

I'm in the process of cleaning up a laptop and got exactly the same hung installing.

Having run the update trouble shooter and used the MS fixit to reset the update components, I've had to resort to downloading/running the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) and that found corruption in Avast Free which is installed on here.

You can view its report in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

Anyway, that eventually completed and downloaded/installed 30 updates - so let's see what SURT can do for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

Scroll down the page and download the appropriate one for your system.

It's 533MB download for Win 7 x64 so you could save it if you wanted and run it from your Downloads folder as and when.

It can take a while to run because its first step is to Check this computer for updates and then you are prompted to install the Hotfix.

The green progress bar should sail through but it can appear to hang about a quarter of an inch from the end.

If it does, give it about 10 mins or so and then hit the Cancel button.

This seems to gee it up and it will complete.

You should then see the alert on the Shutdown button, so go ahead and it will install any outstanding updates - and you can't get any more local than switching on your computer for help

Lounger
    Thanks
    Local help would probably do exactly the same things we are asking you do and cost you, whereas all help on here is free.

I'm in the process of cleaning up a laptop and got exactly the same hung installing.

Having run the update trouble shooter and used the MS fixit to reset the update components, I've had to resort to downloading/running the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) and that found corruption in Avast Free which is installed on here.

You can view its report in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

Anyway, that eventually completed and downloaded/installed 30 updates - so let's see what SURT can do for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

Scroll down the page and download the appropriate one for your system.

It's 533MB download for Win 7 x64 so you could save it if you wanted and run it from your Downloads folder as and when.

It can take a while to run because its first step is to Check this computer for updates and then you are prompted to install the Hotfix.

The green progress bar should sail through but it can appear to hang about a quarter of an inch from the end.

You should then see the alert on the Shutdown button, so go ahead and it will install any outstanding updates - and you can't get any more local than switching on your computer for help
    I was just being respectful of your time with other people needing help. Appreciate the suggestions.

Clkd W7 x64 SP1 SURT Dnload to Desktop & Win Standalone Installer "Searching for Updates on computer" for 2 hours, yet I can bring them up by WU shtcut I made or the mini-icon in the Clock Sys Tray area.
    [It can take a while to run because its first step is to Check this computer for updates} How long did "take awhile" mean for you?
    Last edited by CraigS26; 2016-09-19 at 09:16.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know - it was late, so I just left it running overnight.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know - it was late, so I just left it running overnight.
    EDIT 2: Chk'd late p.m. and Found -- Update Install Complete -- MANY THANKS!!
    Nothing in CheckSUR Log showed an Error; Got a Blue Screen Shutdown on Reboot but No Problem Starting this morning and No Error found.
    Everything took so long it's hard to know IF SURT fixed this or WU just quit fighting.
    Thanks again!

P.S> IF the NEW October Cumulative Approach won't start downloading am I to Try SURT First?

If you've read Woody blog do YOU plan in October/on to Install ALL of future Cumulative Patches (Woody's Group A) or JUST SECURITY (Group B)??
    ================================================== =========

Edit: At the 10 hour mark I got the popup to install the Hotfix KB 947821. Clk'd OK and planned for the 10 min wait you warned of. At 20 minutes I finally saw Install Completed. I DID NOT SEE an ALERT on the SHUTDOWN Button per your prior statement below - Confused about How / When you saw that..........

I've Started the Download ATTEMPT of 10/11 Important Updates (Silverlight excluded) and after a few minutes nothing has happened. Will Update.
    =========================================

OK I'll let run all day and see what happens.
    Last edited by CraigS26; 2016-09-20 at 10:04.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS26 View Post

EDIT 2: Chk'd late p.m. and Found -- Update Install Complete -- MANY THANKS!!
    Nothing in CheckSUR Log showed an Error; Got a Blue Screen Shutdown on Reboot but No Problem Starting this morning and No Error found.
    Everything took so long it's hard to know IF SURT fixed this or WU just quit fighting.
    Thanks again!

P.S> IF the NEW October Cumulative Approach won't start downloading am I to Try SURT First?

If you've read Woody blog do YOU plan in October/on to Install ALL of future Cumulative Patches (Woody's Group A) or JUST SECURITY (Group B)??
    ================================================== =========

Edit: At the 10 hour mark I got the popup to install the Hotfix KB 947821. Clk'd OK and planned for the 10 min wait you warned of. At 20 minutes I finally saw Install Completed. I DID NOT SEE an ALERT on the SHUTDOWN Button per your prior statement below - Confused about How / When you saw that..........

I've Started the Download ATTEMPT of 10/11 Important Updates (Silverlight excluded) and after a few minutes nothing has happened. Will Update.
    =========================================

OK I'll let run all day and see what happens.

Sudo15, I'm posting this in case you're Tracking Time Stamps and think I haven't updated. My Edits of the 8 am 9/19 post would hide that fact.

Thanks again!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not tracking time stamps - just took a break after finally sorting upgrading this laptop to Win 10.

No two computers are alike when it comes to updates, I can only relate the experience I had seeing the alert on the start button.

I'm a bit confused by your posts - have you gotten all of your updates or not ?

I haven't read Woody's blog but I'll just take the updates as they come - if they come

Lounger
    Thanks
    Not tracking time stamps - just took a break after finally sorting upgrading this laptop to Win 10.

No two computers are alike when it comes to updates, I can only relate the experience I had seeing the alert on the start button.

I'm a bit confused by your posts - have you gotten all of your updates or not ?
    YES Woody posted he UN-Chks Silverlight and Skype Updates, so my 10/11 was on purpose / I Only did Important Vs.Optional..
    I haven't read Woody's blog but I'll just take the updates as they come - if they come
    Eagerly awaiting October fun! ................I Appreciate your kindness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast