New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 September Updates Question

Good afternoon.

My wife's Dell laptop is a 64-base Windows 10 Home system. Today it showed 5 updates "ready for download" -- plus the "Feature Update to
    Windows 10 Version 1607 (the anniversary update, I believe)" with an Error under it. Now, I don't want to install the Version 1607 for a few
    more weeks but would like to get the other 5 updates mentioned above. Here's my question: If i click on the "ready to download' under each
    of the 5, can i get just them?

Would appreciate your guidance/advise.

RobertBC 9/17/16 3:00 p.m. EST

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you post exactly what that error message says?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Can you post exactly what that error message says?
    Berton, there was no message for the "Error." When I clicked on the "Error" it just showed it was the new Version 1607 which I
    do not want to install right now, as said in my original post. I only want to get the 5 updates!.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Were the 5 updates listed before or after the AU as there were some that came after AU which took 1607.14393.105 to 14393.187.

However, MS has released a tool to hide updates which you can use to block the AU -

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-...-in-windows-10

The download link for KB3073930 is at the bottom of the page - don't click on any other download buttons.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Believe we had the AU showing for possible download before we got the 5 updates on Tues., 9/13.

Each of the 5 updates has "ready for download" listed right under them. Now, there is a big Download button at the bottom of the page which I feel would cover them all, including the AU. I may have the AU blocked from downloading
    due to a security measure I did back in late July or August. That may be the reason for the Error word right under the
    AU Version 1607 listing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I did a manual update (eventually) to the AU and got some updates shortly after which included quite a large one which made the updates appear to hang.

It was this large one which upped 14393.# to a different .version, so was wondering if you had gotten them en bloc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Sudo5, for your input. I don't follow your last post, so I guess I'll have to go in a different directions

Regards.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertBC View Post
    Thanks, Sudo5, for your input. I don't follow your last post, so I guess I'll have to go in a different directions

Regards.
    Among the updates waiting to install, do they include KB3189866 - that is the main one which followed the AU.

If you use that program I've linked in Post #4 you will be able to see which updates are hidden and then you can confirm if you did hide the AU.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Among the updates waiting to install, do they include KB3189866 - that is the main one which followed the AU.

If you use that program I've linked in Post #4 you will be able to see which updates are hidden and then you can confirm if you did hide the AU.
    Thanks for your latest post, Sudo15. The 5 Sept 13 updates we want to install are: KB3185614, KB890830, KB3161102, KB3181403 and
    KB3150513. Didn't see a KB # for the AU.

This coming Wednesday (9/21) I'll take another look. And I'll check to see if we have already blocked the AU. If cannot determine, I'll use the link and blocking info for Windows 10 updates that are unwanted or postponed.

Will get back to you toward the end of the week and let you what we discovered, did, etc. re all the updates.

Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning Sudo15.
    I promised in my post #9 that I'd get back to you re the Sept. updates.

On Wednesday, 9/22, I spent 4 hours trying to get the 5 important updates plus the Anniversary Update. Got the 5
    but not the AU. On about the 2nd restart I got the small circle of spinning stars. Finally just turned the PC off, then
    back on after a few minutes and got "Restoring Your Previous Version."

Yesterday I tried again. After 4-1/2 hours I stop again and it reverted back to my previous version (1511)

Read yesterday that only 34.5% of all PC's are running the AU (version 1607)! Shame on Microsoft!

Maybe in a week or two I may try again, BUT this time going to the Microsoft site and downloading the AU manually.

RobertBC 9/24/16 10:15 a.m. EST

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My manual attempts with the AU would result in a black screen in the latter part on the mid 70% reboot and shutting down and rebooting, I would get Windows is attempting to recover the installation which eventually changed to Restoring your previous version.

In desperation I disabled my Norton's antivirus and firewall and then it installed without incident.

I can only assume that when Norton was checking the files that it wasn't releasing them which caused the block.

Disable or uninstall your AV program and try them again - I assume you are using a 3rd party AV as I wouldn't expect the default Windows Defender to baulk, although I have come across where Windows Firewall in Win 7 caused a similar problem.

BTW - at the time of my post, it's 17.16 UK time

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

RobertBC (2016-09-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for your response! I will certainly keep in mind your suggestions when I attempt to manually
    download the AU, version 1607, later on.

I did notice that when Windows restored my previous version eveyrthing has slowed down a bit.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you don't want AU 1607, isn't it just sufficient to tick the little box in "Defer feature updates" in Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options. You should be able to take other updates, but not the AU upgrade.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, John, just got an email about your 9/24/16 post. Appreciate your response and suggestion. Will try
    your suggestion this week when I service my wife's laptop.

RobertBC 10/1/16 5:10 p.m. EST

New Lounger
    Thanks
    John, my wife's laptop is a Windows 10 Home. You must be referring to the Windows 10 Pro version, right?
    Her version does not have the "defer feature updates" under Advanced Options that you mentioned.

RobertBC