5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer - default setting to show Details - is it possible?

Is there any way that I can set the "defaults" in Windows Explorer, so that when I open it and one of the folders, it always show the "Details" View. As it stands now, I have to change it every time I open a new folder. Surely, there must be a way to set it as a default for this app. Any insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Click Apply to Folders at Folder Options, View: How to Configure Folder Options in Windows 10

Thanks
    The first problem is that Windows records the view (in the registry) that every folder is opened in in Explorer... so any solution first has to delete this record.

The second problem is that Windows records these views 'per user' (i.e. in HKEY_CURRENT_USER) rather than 'per machine (i.e. system-wide in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)

The third problem is that you didn't mention which version of Windows you wanted the solution for.

Here's a .REG file that I developed for Windows XP then used with Windows 7 as well. I have never used Windows 8.x and have never tried the .REG file with Windows 10. With that caveat in place, you're welcome to it. I advise you to export the following REG keys before using it:

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
    The REG file:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; First delete the views that have already been stored (the keys will be re-created automatically)
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]

; Now change the first of the record stores to Mode 4 (Details)
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
    "WFlags"=dword:00000000
    "Status"=dword:00000000
    "Mode"=dword:00000004
    "vid"="{137E7700-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262}"

; Now change the second of the record stores to Mode 4 (Details)
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
    "WFlags"=dword:00000000
    "Status"=dword:00000000
    "Mode"=dword:00000004
    "vid"="{137E7700-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262}"
    Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick, the "concept" helps, but I am not a techie, so I am a bit reluctant to start playing around with the Registry. I saved the code, so my question is - "Now what?" How do I implement this in the registry and where do I find the Registry editor? All new stuff to me.

I am running Windows 10 Home Edition.

Ron M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M
    Rick, the "concept" helps, but I am not a techie, so I am a bit reluctant to start playing around with the Registry. I saved the code, so my question is - "Now what?" How do I implement this in the registry and where do I find the Registry editor? All new stuff to me.

I am running Windows 10 Home Edition.
    Context
    First, a real quick explanation of what 'Bags' and 'BagsMRU' are. Windows 'remembers' each and every folder you open and records the settings in the registry, i.e. the position of icons in the folder (only for icons on the desktop) and each folder's 'View' settings plus the size and position of each Explorer window. It stores these settings in the registry using the 'Bags' and 'BagsMRU' sub-keys. (MRU stands for 'Most Recently Used'.)

In Windows XP there was a switch you could use to turn off the recording of this infomation.

XP_remember_folder_options.png
    Click to enlarge

Since Windows 7, you can't turn off the recording of this information... only delete the stored records.

Answers
    You haven't mentioned whether you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10 Home nor whether you have upgraded to the Anniversary Edition (AU). The following is based on what I can see using Win 10 Home x64 (non-AU).

• Regedit.exe is located in C:\Windows.
    • Windows 10 appears to be different to previous versions inasmuch as there doesn't appear to be any ShellNoRoam 'store' under the following registry key:
      Code:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
      (Sorry... had to put this within CODE tags as the forum software decided to reverse slashes within the registry path.)
    • As a result I've amended the .REG file and attached it to this post.

Here's how to go about making the changes to the registry safely:

1. Download the attached Set Win10 Explorer to Details view.txt and Undo.txt files and save them to your desktop.

2. Rename both files from .txt to .reg. (The forum software doesn't allow the attachment of .REG files.)

3. Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows.

4. Find regedit.exe, right-click on it and choose Run as administrator.

details-view01.png
    Click to enlarge
    (Strictly speaking you don't need to 'Run as administrator' because you are only going to be dealing with settings for CURRENT_USER, not LOCAL_MACHINE. However, IMO it's a good habit to get into.)

5. Click the Yes button on the User Account Control dialog that appears.

6. Close the File Explorer window you had opened to C:\Windows.

7. In the left-hand pane of the Registry Editor, click on the arrow to the left of HKEY_CURRENT_USER to expand the key.

8. Click on the arrow to the left of SOFTWARE to expand the sub-key.

9. Click on the arrow to the left of Microsoft to expand the sub-key.

10. Scroll down and click on the arrow to the left of Windows to expand the sub-key.

11. Click on the arrow to the left of Shell to expand the sub-key. You should see more sub-keys, two of which are BagMRU and Bags.

12. Right-click on the BagMRU sub-key and choose Export. Export the sub-key to the desktop as BagMRU.reg.

13. Right-click on the Bags sub-key and choose Export. Export the sub-key to the desktop as Bags.reg.

details-view02.png
    Click to enlarge

14. Now you have these 2 sub-keys backed up, you can close the Registry Editor.

15. Right-click on the Set Win10 Explorer to Details view.reg file on your desktop and choose Merge.

16. Click the Yes button on the User Account Control dialog that appears.

17. Click the Yes button on the Are you sure you want to continue? dialog that appears.

18. You should see a confirmation dialog informing you that the 'keys and values' have been successfully added to the registry. Click on the OK button to dismiss the dialog.

19. Either re-start or sign out/sign in so the registry changes are 'read'.

That's it. I've tested this with Windows 10 Home x64 and must admit I've had only partial success. All folders I've checked so far are in Details view except for ones containing pictures or videos, which still default to Large Icons view (to show thumbnails, I assume).

PS - If you ever want to undo the changes, just merge the two 'backup' .reg files and the undo.reg file into the registry.

Hope this helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files