New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing default "GROOVE" music to xmplay

I've never gotten into changing windows defaults programs before and it shows as I can not figure out how to change the default music program to the one I want to use.

When I get to the point of choosing what program to use, I can not see where I can enter the path name to the program I want to use. All I see is a list of programs that I don't want to use. This is true also with "PHOTOS". I want to use a program that is not listed but I can not find a way to enter the path information.

Could someone give me some hints on how to do this please?

Thx,
    Jack

Thanks
    This How to set default programs in Windows 10 article or How to Set Your Default Apps in Windows 10 article should show you how to change defaults.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-09-17 at 16:45. Reason: Added 2nd link

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rick. After going through those two tutorials, which are very good, I think I see what the problem is.

The program I want to use is called xmplay.exe which I downloaded from portableapps.com. I think the problem is that it is not "installed" as far as Win10 is concerned so it never shows up on a list of available programs. This program just resides is a directory and I have a shortcut to it to start it.
    Thanks anyway for you help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you know the file extensions you want to change try this: Go to Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program. Click on the file type, then click the "Change Program" button, then click the "More Apps" list, scroll to the bottom, click on "Look for another app on this PC", navigate to where the program is on your machine, select the Program, "OK" your way back to the file type list and repeat for all file types you need to change.
    Joe