Thanks

AVG is going to sell your personal data from October

Two recent articles explain how AVG intends "selling your personal data" to offset costs of providing its free products. Or is it?

Rather than repeat or quote extensively, have a read of the following two articles:

AVG Antivirus Plans to Collect & Sell Your Personal Data to Advertisers

AVG's updated policy explains how it can sell users' browsing and search history data to advertisers

AVG's updated privacy policy can be found here: AVG Privacy Policy

avg-privacy-01.png
    Click to enlarge

In particular, pay attention to how AVG differentiates between 'personal' and 'non-personal' data.

It's clear that the two articles put a different spin on AVG's updated privacy policy. Both articles claim AVG intend selling 'personal' data whilst AVG's updated privacy policy indicates that this isn't the case, i.e. it's 'non-personal' or anonymized data that will be sold.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: If, like AVG, you think "Browsing and search history" is 'non-personal data', have a read of this classic article about 'anonymous' browsing and search history.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-09-19 at 06:57.

Thanks
    I would say, "Time to switch to another free AV product" but for the fact that the other free AV providers might also see this as a 'pretty neat idea'...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    From what I read, ADBlock Plus is also going to start letting "Preferred" ads through. Seems as though everyone is jumping on the "Ad" bandwagon for revenue.

Thanks
    That's one of the reasons I pay for AV protection, rather than use a free product.

They have to earn a living somehow, either by charging me up-front, by putting advertisements in the product, or by selling my information.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    From what I read, ADBlock Plus is also going to start letting "Preferred" ads through. Seems as though everyone is jumping on the "Ad" bandwagon for revenue.
    This has long been the default setting. I unchecked the appropriate box in AdBlock Plus to disallow the maximum number of ads quite some time ago.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio