New Lounger

UDF Packet Writer / Internal CD Conflict

First of all, it looks like you can disregard my last posting about an IRQ 11 conflict. It seems that the three of the Iomega techs who told me that the device wasn't being detected correctly under the Unversial Serial Bus device category were all wrong, and my CDRW WAS being detected correctly (as a Iomega USB Storage Adapter (TPP) ) after all.

Here's the situation. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop (PIII/600mhz, 128mb RAM, 250-300mb of available hard disk space & Windows '98SE) with an Iomega external USB CDRW drive. When the Hotburn software is installed, and the "Drag n' Burn" option (which is the "UDF Packet Writing Software") is checked (for installation), my internal CD freezes up for about 5-10 minutes before I can access it. This occurrs on bootup, as well as every time I change the disc. Note that my internal CD is NOT a CDRW, but just a regular CD reader. What, if I may ask, is it about the "Drag n' Burn" (which, by the way, allows for doing multisession CD burns) that is not allowing my own internal CD to access a disk.

The actual symptom is that EVERYTHING is frozen, because while the CD was trying to access the disc I inserted, I couldn't do anything else--until the internal CD finally managed to access the disc again.

Incidentally, the Iomega CDRW never seemed to hang on me, even when I changed the disc. It looks like the CDRW is getting all of the resources it needs (and, perhaps, some that it "doesn't need AND shouldn't have")

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your time,
    Steve Weber

Re: UDF Packet Writer / Internal CD Conflict

You might check if the Hotburn packet writing software has an update. Maybe there's a bug in th eversion you're using. Or you might simply disable the packet writing feature, or uninstall/reinstall the software and deselect the UDF option and not install it.

Packet writing wastes about 120Mb of disk space on a CD-R/RW for filesystem overhead; more if you write to the same disk often.