5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I know which folder to download Windows Updates to?

Yesterday I was checking out a Vista computer that the owner hadn’t used in a few years. Cleaning it went pretty easy but when I checked Windows Updates history there were only 5 or 6 installed. I don’t recall what they were but a few from yesterday and a few from some years ago.

So ran Belarc and they reported 111 missing. So I selected one of the Critical ones to see if I could install it manually by going to the Microsoft Update Catalog mentioned in
    http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watc...ly-quiet-note/

The process was going well but then I was given the choice to “Select the folder to which updates will be downloaded” so I cancelled out because I don’t know which folder to select.

How do I know which folder to download Windows Updates to?

EDIT: I don't know why the thumbs down icon showed up in my subject header. I didn't put it there and it doesn't apply to my issue.
    Can it be removed either by me or a moderator?
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2016-09-21 at 17:23.

Thanks
    Since you were at Microsoft Update Catalog you can D/L to the desktop or to a premade folder that you made if you like since you will be running them manually.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-09-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-09-22)

Thanks
    It doesn't matter whether they are MS updates or any any other kind of installation file, you are going to run them manually so it doesn't matter which folder you put them in - or where it is located - as long as you remember where to find it. There are endless posts by people downloading files and then wondering what happened to them because, it turns out, they didn't check where the down-loader was sending them. As lumpy suggests, the most convenient way is to create a folder on the desktop and direct the downloads to it. After they've been installed, unless you have a particular need to keep the installers as a backup, you can delete the folder.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-09-22)

Thanks
    @ Calimanco

Totally agree; have attended too many customers who had downloaded updates who had not taken notice of the download folder so could afterwards find the downloaded installer.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-09-22)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone, you are reading my mind. I was thinking the same way but wanted to know whether or not it might be necessary where to download them to based on their purpose.