Thanks

Angry Win 10 AU breaks NAS drive connection

My Win 10 laptop was forcibly updated to the Aug 1607 AU last night. Now I cannot access my shared drives on my NAS! I have trawled the MS "answers" support site, but I only found two options: (1) connect using \\NAS-IP-address-instead-of-name\sharename, which does work, and (2) uninstall my network adapter and then reinstall using any latest drivers from the manufacturer (Intel), and a reboot, which has also cleared up the issue. Obviously a driver issue - the age-old Windows problem shines bright again! This is ridiculous!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That might be just the start. My computer crashed at the AU and I had to reinstall everything. The Media Creator then installed 1607, and now some programs that worked with 1511 won't work with 1607. The Win 7 games don't seem to work and MS has offered some cheesy apps in their stead. Win10 was some geek programmer's game, but for us it's crap.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There was a problem some time back with Win10 not connecting to a NAS but I really can't recall the details. You might have more luck finding an answer if you do a more general search than just looking at the AU.

FWIW, I am not up to the AU yet but do have a recurring problem with Win10 losing it's connection to my NAS. Is the problem that you cannot see the NAS at all, or it's X'd out or what?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't have many problems with the AU but on a couple of Notebooks using Wi-Fi I did have to remap the 2 Ethernet-connected WDC 2TB MyCloud drives using \\192.168.1.xxx\Public.

Thanks
    To your question gsmith-plm. The problem I had was that the mapped network drives were showing up, but X'ed out and then gave an error when I clicked on them, stating that the connection hadn't been re-established. As I mentioned in my post above, once I uninstalled/reinstalled the network adapter in my laptop, it has all cleared up now. I hope that method works for you too.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The Security Bulletin may be pertinent. From the latest Insider Build notes:

Authentication changes affecting connectivity to NAS devices and home file servers
    After updating to the latest Insider Preview builds, you may have noticed that shared devices on your home network have disappeared from your home network folder. You may have also noticed your mapped network drives are not available. If you change your network to “private” or “enterprise”, it should start working again. For more information on this behavior change, see this Microsoft Security Bulletin.
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2016-09-29 at 14:54. Reason: fixed link
    Joe

Thanks
    Many thanks, JoeP517. My network was already set to "Private" before the AU and still is now. PS. I couldn't get the link in your post to work, but I did read the MS16-110 Technet page to which I think you were referring. That bulletin mentions that they've fixed a vulnerability of NTLM SSO to SMB devices when one logs into the PC using a MS account and that account is in the Guest or Public firewall profile. As I was already in a Private firewall profile it probably shouldn't have had this problem, but no matter, since at least resetting the network adapter by uninstalling and reinstalling essentially did the trick. Many thanks once again!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyC035 View Post
    As I mentioned in my post above, once I uninstalled/reinstalled the network adapter in my laptop, it has all cleared up now. I hope that method works for you too.
    I'm seeing a problem that is a bit larger in scope and may have to do with the fact that I am running Win10 on a Surface Pro 3 - but I don't think so.

Networking in Win10 (and possibly Win8) has changed quite a bit and I frequently have problems with my one Win10 computer losing it's connection to my Win7 computers and my NAS (which is actually running a type of Linux). It's possible that this is driver related, but based on the number of similar issues I've seen reported elsewhere, I suspect it's more to do with changes to networking and "home groups" and sharing.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Well, guess what guys! MS sent down a cumulative update for 1607 AU (KB3194496) on Sep. 30, only 9 nines since I got the big 1607 AU update (!), and yes, you guessed it, I lost my NAS drive access again!!!! Fortunately for me though, uninstalling and re-installing the network adapter from Device Manager (in the same session without reboot being necessary) worked to reconnect all my external drives and shares. I wish they'd send an update that fixes this continuous issue! Fred Langa - is there anything you can do to influence them please!