Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blanks !

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Blanks !

Got 14931 installed on all my three machines here, fine but there is a problem with the screen, video, on the Toshiba laptop. Here is what I get when in a command window :

Blanks.jpg

When in any other screen, all is fine, ie: Google, news and all. You can see that underneath this Settings screen, that the normal screen is there. This looks like high contrast scheme, I have not touched that. What happened ?

Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2016-09-22 at 15:56.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Reboot and try it again - it may just be a glitch.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, good morning.
    A reboot or more, did not fix this. This was present in 14926 and I went back to 14393 on that laptop. It is still present !
    I am unable to click on Feedbackhub as the invites are not live. I will try later to move a PrnScn to another machine and forward to Hub.
    I ignore what to call those screens, the ones with "control" ability that one can click to enable a second level of control. EG: when clicking on the Notifications icon, one then gets the Settings screen. That one offers the proper screen but the allocated pixels to any option, goes empty and dead.
    This Toshiba is 7 year old but ran fine before on W-10. I am in a continuous learning process.
    Have a great day. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To determine if it's your main video drivers, does it display the same in Safe Mode ?

I'm just on the regular release of Win 10 and prefer my updates after they've been reasonably debugged

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice shove, Sudo. You got me to Safemode and I was able to come out of the abyss. I had to get another machine besides the Toshiba as I could not read the prompts. I had so see them on the other machine, ok, fourth from the bottom and click. I did restart in Safemode. I could not get any further for the time being, I had played with the High Contrast and it was too much for me. I will get back and remove the HC and then get back to SM. The prompts were there and well spelled out, in SM.

I found a site where I could send a PrnScn to the Feedback Hub.

Now, I think that it ran on basic video driver ! I had a go at that driver, re-installed it too but it came back to me saying that Microsoft considered that I had the best driver, Oh ! Does this mean that the driver as supplied by 14931 is defective and if so where can get a good one ?

Did you get your version from Microsoft and where. I might go that route.

Thanks for the shove, still learning here. Have a nice weekend.

Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2016-09-24 at 19:07.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I got an invite to upgrade after installing all of Windows Updates following a factory reset on a Win 7 laptop.

I don't know how you come out of the TP to the regular release, but if the TP is causing you problems and you don't get any feed back from MS, then that may be the way you will have to go.

You may have to go to your computer or motherboard support site (if home build) for the graphic drivers as Windows nearly always tells you that yours are up to date, although in Device Manager, right click on your graphics adapter - select Update Driver Software - Browse my computer - Let me pick.. and it may have more than one driver in the store.

If the upgrade has installed another, that should be the lower one so click on the first then Next and that will install that one and then you can see if the cmd prompt displays okay.

Yes, in Safe Mode it uses the basic VGA adapter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, good morning to you.

Well, I am now getting the Media Creator to do its tricks on the sick Toshiba. Getting back to SafeMode was a dog's breakfast, I gave up. As I have here another two machines to honour Insiders, I can afford to do this new install as you did and run W-10 simply as it is intended for the commoners, specifically : me.

But I did not give up easily, this morn, I spent roughly 1 hour trying to get a driver on the Toshiba site. All kinds of new drivers but none for the display, that got me to think of Media Creator.

It is now D/Ling the data while I will keep reading Churchill's fine writing, I am into vol-2 of his 2nd War, 6 vol series. I just love his written word. Their finest hours as fighter pilots, as I was.

Have a great day, I will get back to you when Creator has created. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which model of Toshiba are you using and which graphics does it use.

When you give the model of your Toshiba, include the first 6 characters of the serial number.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, I am back on the in question Toshiba and on 14393. All seems fine, screens and all.

This machine is : an A100, s/n : 66256221Q model : PSAA8C SK400F

The display is : Mobile Intel 945 Express MS Corp WDDM 1.0

So, I will not do any Insider stuff on it, for the time being. Now, I have to reload all my apps. That takes a while.

Thanks for your interest and succour, when I jump back to 14931 or better, I will let you know.

Have fun, I am. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2016-09-25 at 12:56.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which Windows version did you upgrade from as I only see Vista 32 bit on there
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-09-25 at 13:23.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, hello.
    I did not upgrade this machine, it was a clean install. Before, it was 14931, and that was the version that troubled me. At some tome back, I had W-7, then 8.1 on it. I forget how it got to w-10 but I did an insider job.

All of them ran fine until this problem reared its ugly face from 14926 and 14931.

Not to worry, it is now sporting all my normal apps, normal to me, that is. Thanks again. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's just that when I went to Toshiba Support - Canada and put your serial number in, the latest OS for that model is Vista 32 bit and that applied to the Display drivers as well.

When those upgrades are eventually released, you may face the same problem again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Sudo.
    Not wanting to flog a dead horse here. I am now on 14936 and the same funny screens are here. It is quite strange to me, I get to the opening screen where the blocks, the links are empty but as I recognize this stage, I do input my PIN and all is fine after this, I am typing at you on the said machine.

I really do not know what level of the OS is involved here, not that I could do anything about it. All is fine on 14393 and this is what baffles me. What has MS done that would affect this otherwise fine laptop and only on the 14936 & 14931 ?

Please do not loose any sleep over this, I am not. The machine is quite usable if I can remember what square to click when asked. The next Insiders will be a chalenge. Oh, I have a clone of 14393. LOL

Be good and enjoy your weekend. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you give MS feedback on what is happening with your machine on these builds.

My thought would be graphic drivers but if it comes up okay after you enter your pin, then that should negate those as a cause.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, hello.
    Of course MS feedback has been advised, I also found a page where I could enter a PrnScn, they got it but no come-back, I had ticked the square saying "Can we contact you".

It got quite involved, I had to do that PrnScn, forward it to me then explain why I was not on that machine for the feedback. Still quiet as a tomb.

It will be really interesting if ever this is solved. Thanks for your attention. Jean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast